Search

Nassau on Jan 20th

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nassau on Jan 20th

Hi,

We'll be in Nassau for 3 days in a few weeks to see our daughter off on a college trip. We haven't been anywhere in the Carribean before and Nassau wouldn't have been at the top of my "must see" list, but that's where we'll be.

We will have a car while there, so I'm looking for some ideas of places to go and some restaurant ideas. We'll be staying at the Comfort Suites on Paradise Island.

Thanks so much for your assistance.

Margy
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 01:46 PM

Margyb,
There's lots to do in Nassua, it's just more of a built up location than most islands. I’ve been to Nassau twice, and the best thing I’ve done there was dinner at the Graycliff. It’s right in town in Nassau. It’s hands down the best restaurant I’ve ever been to, for the service, atmosphere, food, and they have the largest wine cellar in the western hemisphere-we even got a tour of it-it’s amazing (we’re wine lovers!). It’s an old historical building with high ceilings, and you begin in the sitting room with a grand piano. You can sit outside on the wrap around porch lit with romantic white lights. It was the highlight of Nassau for us. Their site is: www.graycliff.com. They also have an extensive cigar bar if you’re into that.

Of course, Atlantis is a sight to check out for a day or two-do the aquarium tour. It’s pretty neat. It’s pretty amazing how huge the hotel/grounds are. Think Vegas in the islands. There’s also the straw market right in town which is great for handmade souvenirs. You can probably find some boating daytrips as well. Oh, there’s this tiny shack on the road across from the Westin on Cable beach-they make the most amazing mango/rum smoothies! We got hooked on them! Enjoy!
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 04:16 PM

Columbus Tavern is a very good restaurant on Paradise Island, and The Poop Deck is a great (casual) place too. There are 2, go to the one at the foot of the Paradise-Nassau bridge. Agree with Graycliff.
There are marching flamingoes and a pirates museum. Usually when I go to Paradise Is for 3 days, it's just for beach, shopping and lobster and conch fritters
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Staying at the Comfort Suites you will have full access to all the facilities at the Atlantis Resort. The temps may not be warm enough to enjoy the many pools, slides, beach etc.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much to everyone. I so appreciate having some specific restaurant recommendations! We'll definately check out the aquarium at the Atlantis and I'm really looking forward to those mango/rum smoothies!

Margy
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 05:03 AM

I'd suggest that you really don't need to rent a car while you are there, cabs are available and in the long run will be much cheaper. There are also water taxis to take you from PI to downtown Nassau to see some of the sites and jitneys to take you out to the Zoo and Queens Garden (#10 bus you can catch right downtown).

A car will be more of a headache since the traffic is usually bad AND there's nowhere to park.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 07:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For casual dining, Anthony's Caribbean Grille is just across from the Comfort Suites. There is the Hurrican Hole shopping Center down the street where you can buy food to keep in your room. The Comfort Suites provides a free breakfast also.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your car rental advice travelbuff2. I thought it might be good to have a car to drive around the island, but it sounds like it might be more trouble than it's worth? I'll definately check out the parking (or no parking!) situation at the Comfort Suites.

Margy
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

OK...here's another question. Where do you recommend going for some basic groceries and toiletries? I see that there is a Solomon's clubhouse store, but I'm guessing that a membership may be required.

Thanks,

Margy
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

ttt