Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

"What?! we're going to a hotel thats not on the beach?"

Aug 1st, 2009, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

So I "won" an auction on skyauction.com for Valentine's Resort on Harbour Island - which is on the harbour, not the beach, side. Told my husband about it, and he can't believe I bid on a hotel that is not right on the beach. I told him that it is supposed to be only a ten minute walk - or golf cart ride - away. What else can I say to sell him, so he can look forward to our stay there as much as I am?
Aug 1st, 2009, 10:27 AM

Don't worry, your view of the Harbour will be spectacular from Valentine's. It is on the water, and there's a really nice pool and across the street is the marina with a fun restaurant/bar and some nites there will be live music.

Valentine's has a good restaurant and if you head down the street toward the dock, you will pass 3 other good restaurants, in order they are Rock House, The Landing and The Lounge. All along the Harbour is where locals and visitors gather for a drink and to and
to watch the sunset over Eleuthera. I've never seen the green flash, but others swear they have.

The island is only 1/2mile wide, so you really can't be far from the beach.

One evening go over to Runaway Hill for dinner. The food is excellent and the views are breathtaking.

Lunch is at Angela's Starfish Restaurant for conch anything (her conch salad is the best onisland). There are several lunch spots, including the Tea Shop, the Deli, Arthur's Cafe and a few spots on Water St heading north as you walk from the Straw Market.

Valentine's is also where the BIG boats dock coming over from Florida. I saw the boat used in one of the 007 movies, huge and so aerodynamic that it looked like it was going 100miles an hour docked.

As you get closer to your trip, I'll give you some names of locals who will make sure you have a GREAT time.
Aug 1st, 2009, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, travelbuff. I'll show him your reply. You make it sound wonderful.
Aug 1st, 2009, 04:43 PM

I stayed at Valentines and loved it. (I have previously stayed at Pinks Sands Resort also, which is awesome but 6 times the money)

The resort is fairly new, totally luxurious. It's fun to go around on a golf cart. It's a tiny island, quaint, gorgeous. It has an excellent restaurant. Click on my pictures from my trip report from there last year:

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...rbor%20island/

I'd go again in a heartbeat
Aug 1st, 2009, 04:56 PM

LOVED your pictures. A few years ago Roger and Carol who owned Runaway Hill came to New York for a visit. They invited several friends to dinner who also were Harbour Island regulars, and I noted at dinner that this was the only time in the history of the world where vacation pictures would be enjoyed by all of us. lol.

I haven't been down to the island in a few years so miss it so much, it's on my list for this year.
Aug 1st, 2009, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Blamona, your pictures are gorgeous. I'll show them to my husband. FYI - Valentines Resort has been on skyauction.com continuously since I started looking at the website in mid-July.
Aug 1st, 2009, 09:58 PM

I'm not surprised, I know that tourism is down on Harbour Island, and all over the Carribean. Some islands have been reporting tourism down as much as 50%.
Aug 1st, 2009, 10:04 PM

I just looked at the skyauction site and at Valentine's. If you look at the picture of the beach and the tiny dots of people down the beach, that's about as crowded as the beach gets, even during high season, THAT'S what your husband will enjoy, it feels like the beach is all yours.
Aug 2nd, 2009, 04:07 AM

oranfetravelcat: I saw it on skyauction-thanks. I'm trying San Salvador Bahamas at the end of August-I'm always on a quest for the world's best beach! 8-)
Aug 2nd, 2009, 05:51 AM

blamona.. you will LOVE San Salvador.
The sand is like talcum powder...

We are currently on Cat Island for the Regatta/August Monday holiday and the beaches are spectacular.