Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

My husband is hesitant of Turks and Caicos trip--help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a fair amount of research and reading all of your helpful posts and reviews, I am convinced that my husband I need to spend our anniversary in the Turks & Caicos, staying at the Royal West Indies Resort.

However, my husband is a little hesitant. He's concerned that it is too small and remote, we are outside of the US, health dangers, etc... as well as how expensive it will be.

A little background: he hasn't traveled outside of the US except to Mexico a few times in college... He's been to St John and loved the beaches, but felt safe considering it is US Territory. We are in our late 20's and both from a small midwest town, so honestly, I think we are both semi-naive. He'd rather go to Kauai.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 08:06 AM

T&C statically is the safest island island in Caribbean. Much safer than St. John even! The most incredible beach you'll ever see, and while it's a quiet relaxing destination, nothing remote about it. To get there you fly big jets, not puddle jumpers like other islands. Water is safe to drink, no one gets sick there. It has basically an upscale American type vibe.

I can't help you with expensive-that's all relative. It is an upscale island, but Caribbean overall is an expensive destination. Food is on par with St. John. (Cehck out www.WhereWhenHow.tc for restaurants, menus and prices.)

On another note, before I mairried, my husband had never been out of the country, I told him he had to "broaden his horizon's" if he was going to marry me. (I was very well travelled.) He loved T&C so much, we bought a place, and come down every year! I promise you'll husband will want to do the same.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 08:38 AM

T&C has the most beautiful clearest water in the caribbean,along with a great beach, friendly people and a relaxed safe feeling. getting there is easy too. he's nuts if he misses this opportunity. i've visited most of the islands and T&C is on top of my list.
if he says no, go alone and show him photos when you return.

ricamundo
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 12:00 PM

I have been to TC. It was wonderful!! NEVER felt unsafe. Never hassled. So nice, quiet. The water is incredible. Am trying to talk my husband into going this time. Did Sliver Deep snorkel tour. NOTHING compares to that water. Stayed at OCW. Swim Coach
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 01:58 PM

From what you have indicated, I think you would really like it.

We enjoyed it very much, but when we went, it was still very much undiscovered and we were able to find a lot of local flavor and loved the beautiful beaches and the friendly people there.

Since he liked St John and felt safe there, I think he would be very happy and comfortable on Provo.

Due to all of the recent changes and as another poster put it, "It has basically an upscale American type vibe," that is why we won't be going back.

But because you have concerns about health, danger, etc., I think it is a good choice for you.

Congrats on your anniversary, and have a great time!
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 01:01 PM

provobums.com is our website...it's got a gallery full of photos from around the island and resorts...maybe you can have your hubby check it out and see if he'll want to go there...
my hubby didn't really want to go on our first visit...we went back within 3 months of that trip and have been back every year since...we find it to be laid back and friendly...it's a very safe island...safe to drink the water...safe to walk around outside of your resort...just pure heaven...if you're into crystal clear blue waters and long white soft sandy beaches...
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Great! This should help! Thank you!

Does anyone have experience at the Royal West Indies Resort?