More Q's re upcoming trip to STJ

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the timely responses on insect repellants (see prior post 2/10). What about your picks for places to eat -- not fancy or romantic, but suitable with teenage kids? We have heard good things about:

1) Skinny Legs
2) Lime Tree Inn
3) La Tapa
4) Joe's Barbecue

Thanks.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:41 PM

Skinny Legs is a must--it's fun and the kids will love it--but it's in Coral Bay so be prepared for a drive if you're staying near Cruz Bay.

Joe's Barbeques is excellent for lunch--we eat there a couple of times each time we visit St. John. It's a tiny, tiny place--two tables--mostly take out but it's fun to eat there and watch the people. When they run out of food, they close for the day.

Fish Trap is also good--reasonable, a varied menu, very good food. Also has a fresh seafood market if you're interested in cooking.

We like the Beach Bar too--it's right on the beach in Cruz Bay--food is very casual and it's a fun place.

ZoZO's and the Balcony are both excellent and have great views. A little more expensive than the others but well worth it for a special night out.

The Lime Inn is good and Morgan's Mango has an all you can eat lobster night.

Have fun! St. John is one of our favorite destinations!
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 07:02 PM

Bring the DEET to Skinny Legs. Overrated IMHO. Lime Tree is great....all you can eat shrimp on Wed nights. Joe's is a must...on your way back to your villa or hotel (assuming Choc Hole villa or Westin/Gallows). Great BBQ! La Tapa has been open for many years....which is a good thing on STJ....but have not been there.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:48 AM

You have made some good selections. It doesn't get much mention here, but we tried The Banana Deck last time and liked it a lot. Good place for a casual burger at lunch. The rib eye for dinner was very good as well. For a quick breakfast or to stop to get eats for the beach, Deli Grotto in Mongoose Junction. The little Cafe there (I think it is called Sundog) gets good reviews too. A sleeper that we found for a quick and inexpensive breakfast or lunch was Paradise cafe in Wharfside Village. Easy to miss, just a little kiosk near the street. If you are at The Lime Inn and like seafood, try the mussels appetizer. I am not a huge fan of mussels, but this dish is delicious.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 08:09 AM

We had lunch at the Banana Deck yesterday, great outdoor deck with some shade. Good food, fried grouper sandwich, Mahi wrap, buffalo chicken sandwich are the selections our party tried, had a nice app menu too.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 08:51 AM

Alphie,

Where is Joe's barbecue? Last time we were in St John (we will be building a house there hopefully starting next year), we had good bbq at a little hut right by the ferry dock. Do you know the name of it?

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 10:51 AM

That was Joe's BBQ (I thought it was Uncle Joe's). They have about 6 plastic tables under cover but it is a really "take out" place,. My family had a great meal their last April.

My sons liked Skinney Legs. We enjoyed the Lime Inn (good to very good food), which seemed to be a favorite when I did my research. It had a fun atmosphere. We took the kids to Zozo's, for our expensive meal. We had a sunset view by the railing of the restaurant and they whined because the sun was in their eyes (bring sunglases). They also weren't very hungry because they had PBJs earlier so we spent a lot (we wanted to go) and the kids weren't wowed. I would suggest reservations for the Lime Inn.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Forgot to mention, Cafe Roma for Italian. One nice thing is that most of the restaurants have their menus posted.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 04:49 AM

I agree with all the other posts, but, wanted to second on The Sun Dog Cafe in Mongoose Junction. We had 3 great lunches there and the seating is quaint under umbrellas while you watch the people shop. They also serve drinks in cute hand painted glasses. I also really liked ZoZo's and La Tapa. Have a great trip!! We loved St. John!
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 01:40 PM

Hi, Agree with most......Cafe Roma. Panini's,( Skinny legs not my favorite IMOP) loved Shipwreks landing!(coral Bay) U must take the kids to Pastory Gardens about a mile out of cruz bay! Great place for family! Downstairs Miniature Golf! Highly reccomend! We love it there! Enjoy!
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 06:11 AM

Where exactly is rhumbline located? I want to be sure to get there when we go in June!
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 07:54 AM

Rhumblines is in the middle of Cruz Bay just diagonally across from the waterfront/ferry in a building called the Meada building. It has no views but a lot of fun ambience and is good with teenage kids. Next door what used to be Duffy's Loveshack is probably not good for teenagers although they would love the rowdy springbreak atmosphere, it's probably filled with not so good influence. Morgan's Mango is always fun for everyone. The Mexican restaurant near Morgan's is also a good option. On the Coral Bay side, Skinny Legs is alright. Island Blues is great, as is Aqua Bistro, Sweet Plaintains, Shipwreck Landing and of course, Miss Lucy's.