Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Sandals Resorts ....which one should I pick?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 09:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a nice vacation for my boyfriend and I in a couple of months. I am trying to surprise him, therefore need some help and advice. I have looked at both the Sandals Ochos Rios and Sandals Dunn Rivers resorts, and I am not sure which one to pick. They both seem very similar in many areas. I am looking for a resort in which the grounds are beautiful and there are activities for us to do. I would also like a resort in which if we choose to leave the resort grounds and go "sight-seeing," it is possible. I went on a vacation once in which there was NOTHING outside of the resort to do, therefore you were stuck within the boundaries of that resort. Please advise on which one is the best option. Since we are a young couple, I would like to have a vacation that involves extremely laid-back and relaxing opportunties, yet opportunites to enjoy "night-life" or adventure. I would also like the best choice that has the best restaurants and rooms. Now that I have "talked you to death," which one should I choose ...Sandals, Ochios Rios or Sandals Dunn River?.....Thanks for your help .....
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 08:18 AM

My wife, brother-in-law and his wife are all going to Sandals Dunn's River on August 20. We chose Dunn's River because it is supposed to be a more active resort. My wife and I have been to Sandals Royal, but unfortunatally, It rained for 7 days straight. We got 4 hours of sun in seven days. But thanks to the activities, we still had a good time. We are all big drinkers and as long as you like to get involved and don't mind making a fool of yourself, you will have a great time. We plan to do tour with barrettadventures.com when we get there. We understand you can tube down the Black river. Anyway, if you end up in Dunn's river the week of Aug 20, let me know. The more people you know at the resort, the funner it is.
Good luck.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 02:28 PM

Many people say that Ochos Rios grounds are very beautiful and that the brochures don't do it justice. I don't know how active it is though.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 06:11 PM

Neither. Go to Negril and do a non-AI vacation. You'll find better food, more nightlife, more reasonably priced rooms, and more activity in general at a non-Sandals establishment.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 02:33 PM

I have stayed at Dunns River 10 times and love it!

I booked Ocho Rios and we stayed one left and requested a transfer to DR.

No comparison at all!
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 07:37 AM

Can't discuss Ocho Rios but I got married at the Dunns River Sandals and truly enjoyed the resort. Nice rooms, great service, wonderful beach (that was raked every night), good drinks, great food/restaurants(especially the one with the Japanese style grilling right at your table) and the playmakers were always getting us involved in the various activities. Whatever you do, the trip to the Dunns River Falls is a must.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 04:32 PM

The feel of sandals ochos rios is completely different than sandals dunns river, although they may seem to be the same on the surface as they are both the same hotel chain. Here is a run down comparison of the two.

SOR=drop dead beautiful gardens, meandering pathways, hidden hammocks for two in the tropical foilage, smaller pool area with swim up bar, smaller beach. Option of lowrise villa style accomodation (direct to outside from room) or highrise style (elevator/hallway). Quieter, laid back, more romantic. Wonderful views of the ocean from most of the restaurants.

SDR = main area of the resort is in between the two highrise towers, which is a huge area with concrete decking/chairs that surrounding a HUGE pool with a big elaborate swim up pool bar area. Also some garden areas but not like at ochi. More active, better beach. More extensive spa services. Restaurants are mostly in the main area, which does not really have a direct view of the ocean. Pitch and putt on grounds.

It depends on what you want. I have heard people say they absolutely LOVE SDR, but personally we prefer the romantic garden atmosphere of SOR.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 05:54 PM

I am currently booked at SDR but am also debating my choice. I know if I stay at SOR I will be over at DR every day for the pool and beach area. I guess it comes down to do I want to stay at OR and go to DR during the day or stay at DR and go to OR to eat at night since they seem to have the more beachside restaurants. Any thoughts from someone who did the same thing? Also, how are the rooms between the two? I've read in other postings that some of the OR rooms are in need of makeovers?