More info please on Caneel Bay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2003, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've ready many postings on Caneel Bay and we're thinking about it for Dec, 2003. The catch is we have certain criteria, so see if you can help, OK?
1. Nearly rock free, white sandy beach, very clean preferably not crowded
2. Room/villa next to the beach
3. Rates for an upscale resort?
4. Prefer adult atmosphere/vs. kids
5. Dive sites from resort?
Please send your information - love to hear from you!
Old May 20th, 2003, 08:42 AM

I'll do my best Kat.
1. - Beautiful white sand rack free beaches (7 of them).
2. - Many rooms are only a very few steps from the beach.
3. - Go to their website Dec. 03 rates.
4. - Even though it's a family resort you'll find it almost all adults(no TV or phones.
5. - Can be arranged and can picked up from their dock.

Hope this helps!
Old May 20th, 2003, 08:48 AM

I've been to Caneel roughly half a dozen times and think that the posts are pretty accurate.

1. Beaches are lovely -- depending on which you choose, some are busier than others. For example, the beach by the dock is open to the public so it naturally gets more crowded (snorkelling is excellent though at the far end). Scott and Hawksnest are generally very quiet.

2. I have stayed in both Turtle Bay rooms and Hawksnest rooms -- both are very spacious and clean. Some prefer Scott as it gets the afternoon sun.

3. I'd characterize the rates as appropriate for an upscale resort.

4. Definitely more adult oriented although sometimes there are more kids than other times

5. I'm not a diver just an avid snorkeler. But there is excellent snorkelling from most of the beaches. Last time I was there (a couple of years ago), I would spend each afternoon at Scott beach -- lots of turtles and rays. Lucy Portlock runs the snorkel excursions to offshore reefs -- she is lots of fun to go out with. There is a dive shop on site and they do organize daily trips out to various sites, but I have never noticed anyone diving from shore.

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 06:18 PM

Caneel is verrrrry quiet, little late night activity, and lots of acreage for a small number of guests. Scott Beach is the best and most expensive to actually stay on, but there are plenty of cheaper alternatives where you can sleep and then walk over to Scott during the day. If you stay on Scott, Caneel, Hawksnest your room may be literally fifty feet from the water. Turtle Bay rooms are two stories and back a bit farther. Hawksnest is very windy much of the year, and this may actually keep you from sitting on the beach at times. Turtle is convenient to the restaurant, but the surf at night can be extremely loud,but some people find it restful. We love the place, prefer Scott, and intend to return yearly as long as we can physically and fiscally manage it.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 01:03 AM

The on site dive shop is excellent. They are very accommodating and give assistance according to individual needs. There are good dive sites, including wrecks, available. All seven beaches are outstanding with clean white sand, no rocks, and are uncrowded. At times some beaches you have almost to yourself.. Cool tropical drinks are brought to most.