Money exchange

Old Jan 24th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Money exchange

The last time I was in Cuba you could still use the US dollar. It is my understanding that this is no longer the case, that I would need to convert my Canadian dollars to Cuban pesos. What is the exchange? Can you still use US bills for tips?
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 01:48 PM

As a Canadian travelling to Cuba, you need do nothing else than take Canadian money to Cuba. On arrival, stop at one of the money exchange booths (Cadeca) and exchange from Canadian directly into Cuban Convertible Pesos. CUC. The rate fluctuates with the value of the Canadian dollar but has recently been hovering in the 1.18 to 1.20 range. ie, One CUC will cost you $1.18 Canadian. You can get accurate daily exchange rates from the Cuban Banco Metropolitano website. DO NOT use currency websites like Coinmill, FX etc, as they aren't accurate.
http://www.banco-metropolitano.com/m...da&ppid=5&l=es

Then you simply tip with CUC which are available in 1, 3, 5 etc bills and .5, .10, .25, 1.00 CUC coins as well.

enjoy and have fun.
Steve
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 07:29 AM

Hello Steve
Do you have any contacts or recommendations for advance booking for a Casa Particular in Havana Vieja for March 2010. I need to secure the booking in advance, in order to obtain my visa (in London UK).

Also - I'm thinking of taking the train fron Havana to Santiago. Any thoughts / ideas about train travel in Cuba?

Thanks

Greg
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 06:16 PM

Hi Greg:

Here is some info on the casa I stayed at last November. It's an ideal location on the Prado near the Malecon with Old Havana literally only a 5 minute walk away.

Casa Fefita y Luis
Paseo del Prado #20
e/ San Lázaro y Cárcel
5to Piso, Apto B
Habana Vieja
Ciudad de La Habana

537-867-6433
[email protected]
[email protected]

As to the train. Unless you're a real train junky and want the experience, I'd take the Viazul bus. The trains are NOT reliable or on time and often cancell outright. The Viazul buses however are very good.
www.viazul.com (note that I've heard that the scheduled times have changed slightly and the website isn't updated yet) So confirm your times.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 04:31 AM

I was just in Cuba in Jan and my friend was able to convert her US dollars. As for the casa particular, we tried getting one in Havana with no luck at all since we didn't have reservations. All were fully booked.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 08:47 AM

Ok, just to clarify a tad.
1 - US dollars are NOT in general use on the streets as day-to-day currency as they once were. That is what the CUC is for.
2 - You can exchange US dollars at a bank or a Cadeca for CUC but after you pay the exchange rate, there is an ADDITIONAL 10% tax put on all US cash exchanges. The US dollar is the ONLY currency to get this additional tax which therefore makes the USD very poor for exchange purposes. That is why it's strongly recommended not to take USD.

In 12 years, I've never had a problem getting a casa in Havana, but if you do, contact Pototo, a great friend and Cuban "resolver" who can help you with arrangements.

Pototo Tourist Services
Neptuno St. # 1055
3rd Floor
Between Espada y San Francisco
Centro, Habana
Telf: (011) 53-7-870-6359
[email protected]
[email protected]
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 04:05 PM

i have to add that it was the Sat right after new year's (Jan 2) so super high season. We couldn't get a hotel room or a rental car either.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 04:13 PM

Wish i knew your Cuban "resolver" then... we seemed unable to get anything... almost got stuck in Havana overnight with no place to sleep. Having said that, can't wait to go back to Havana (it's an amazing city) and spend a few nights there, we will book ahead this time though