Search

How to get to Cuba as US Citizen

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get to Cuba as US Citizen

Hello,

I've read a few threads and still don't have a grasp on this. How would I be able to travel to Cuba as a US Citizen? I am in NYC. Thank you so much!
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 07:01 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Go by way of Toronto or Mexico City. The Cubans don't insist on stamping your US Passport. The tourist places in Cuba accept US dollars. I do know a US pastor that was in Cuba about a year ago. He visited the sister church of his church.
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 07:05 AM

You can also go legally so to speak thru "cultural tours" which inc. hotel/meals but not air. However its very expensive.
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 08:12 AM

From NYC, your best route would be either thru Montreal or Toronto. Another very popular route for Americans headed to Cuba without a license is thru Cancun.
As noted above, the Cubans do not stamp any passports, but instead stamp a "Tarjeta de Turista" that you buy (about $20) to get into Cuba. Nothing is fastened into your passport either.
One clarification is that the US dollar is no longer in circulation within Cuba. They use a currency called the Cuban Convertible Peso that you exchange your money into upon arrival. The CUC is not available outside Cuba. Now, US dollars have an additional 10% "tax" put on them after exchange so if you want to save 10%, then convert your USD to Canadian dollars first before your trip, then convert the Canadian dollars to CUC on arrival.
Other than that, Americans have no issues or problems within Cuba except that you cannot use any of your US Credit Cards in Cuba. Americans are strictly on a cash basis.
If you need further info, I'd suggest you post your question on the Lonely Planet Cuba forum which has a great many US citizens that travel to Cuba posting there.

Good luck and have a great trip.
Steve
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 11:58 AM

cubajet.com for me in the past