Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Any tips or hints for an American visiting Cuba?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going on a one week trip to Cuba, and wondered if anyone has any tips or hints. I'll be with a group, so I don't need any hotel information. I'm especially interested in any cultural information that would help me to avoid offending someone by accident, or getting someone in trouble.
I don't have all the details about the trip, but do expect that I will be outside of the typical tourist hotels and resort areas.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 08:13 AM

You won't be able to use your credit cards. You'll have to exchange your US dollars once you get there.

I've only been once, and it's been a few years, but was told then, and I'm sure it's still true, to not try and talk to the Cuban people about their feelings about Castro or politics.

Enjoy your stay, it's an amazing country.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Hi Jean,
Your hints all look helpful, and match what I've heard, so I'll be sure to take this all into account.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 05:56 AM

I would not bring US dollars to Cuba. They charge an additional exchange fee over and above the exchange rate for American money. Exchange your US dollars for either Canadian dollars or Euros before you go, then exchange those for Convertible Pesos once you get to Cuba.

I had no issues talking politics with the locals when I was there in February 2010. You just have to be respectful. Don't try to prod them by criticizing their government to see if they agree, you'll likely get a chilly response.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 08:44 AM

I would love to go to Cuba but I thought it wasn't allowed. Please let me know if there's a way to go.
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

@writealiving, you can go if you obtain a US department of Treasury license. There are various categories of license. I went with a church group that had a religious license.

We were advised to not talk politics at all with the locals, in order to not get them in trouble -- you never know who is listening.

We had a wonderful trip. I would love to go back sometime.

As in many countries, there is a huge difference between the tourist experience and the way the locals live. In some ways it was even more disorienting for me than visiting Africa, because the differences were more subtle, but just as pervasive.

We didn't spend a lot of time at the beach (it's not what we were there for, after all), but it was incredible. Crystal clear water, wonderfully warm, white sand, not too crowded.

I considered changing my USD to EUR before I went, but didn't bother, because I didn't really need that much cash, since my hotel and most meals were already included.
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 08:13 AM

Thanks, Ann. I am going to look into the Treasury license for the future. I've heard its beautiful and I've always wanted to go, both to experience the culture and the beaches.