Mid-20s Couple Caribbean Vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2015, 11:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone, my boyfriend and I are planning a Caribbean vacation for either early March 2016 or late May 2016 to celebrate milestones. We are unsure where to go as this is both of our first times traveling to this location. We do not have a set budget yet, but are more concerned with the below requirements for experience, rather than costs.

- snorkeling
- white sand beaches
- great food
- not too touristy or crowded; something more mellow would be better
- hotel/resort on the beach

Any advice or guidance on where to narrow our search for either of those timeframes would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Dec 23rd, 2015, 04:51 AM

Of the islands I've been to (15+), Anguilla is hands down the best for long, beautiful, uncrowded beaches, wonderful restaurants, and offer a variety of beachfront hotels. It's flat and scrubby vs. mountainous and picturesque like the BVI's which are beautiful and quiet. BVI beaches are lovely, but smaller than Anguilla's. It's easy to island hop in the BVI's. I would not recommend St. Martin - far too crowded, but pretty to look at from Anguilla. I have not been to Turks & Caicos but understand they are quite built up.
Old Dec 23rd, 2015, 05:00 AM

St John, Grand Cayman, Riviera Maya, all offer what you are looking for on your list. As nice as the beaches are in Anguilla, it is not known as a snorkeling destination at all. Other snorkeling possibilities: Cozumel, Bonaire, Roatan, Virgin Gorda.
Old Dec 23rd, 2015, 06:08 AM

Turks & Caicos for sure--there are beautiful beachside condo resorts , walkable to dining etc. Nice grocery stores for "supplies" Wide range of options...Look at The Sands, The Somerset & Ocean Club resorts for a range of rates. May will be cheaper fyi
Old Dec 23rd, 2015, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. In terms of cost, are all the options above around the same price? We will be coming from LA so I know Riviera Maya will be closest flight wise.
Old Dec 24th, 2015, 05:43 AM

No, not at all. Out of the places I listed, Riviera Maya will be cheapest by far. Grand Cayman & St John are not budget destinations, but you can find deals. I haven't found much in the Caribbean that seems as cheap as Mexico.
Old Dec 24th, 2015, 06:53 AM

The T&C's can also be a pricey destination.

You've given us a list of your "wants". If you give us an idea of your budget it would help us to steer you in the right direction. If you break it down and let us know how much you want to allocate for airfare, accommodations, food and activities that will make it even easier to make recommendations.

I'm sure you are aware that coming from the west coast airfare can eat up a lot of your budget as well as travel time.
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 04:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a look at Belize. If snorkeling is important the second largest barrier reef is there. Laid back atmosphere. Good beaches as well.
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

I would say my Budget would be as follows:

Flight - Less than $600 pp from LAX
Hotel - Less than $1,500 total for 3-4 nights (still deciding how long we should visit for)
Food/activities/spending - no set budget for this

I should add that we do want to be right on the beach and be in a more intimate resort than a large, Sandals-type one. At the same time, we want there to be things to do outside the hotel, such as places to eat, some nightlife (doesn't have to be super crazy). Any hotel recs based on this info?
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 09:48 AM

You should be able to fly to the Providenciales in the T&C's for under $600 R/T PP if you remain flexible on your actual flying dates. It's also one of the closer destinations to LAX so that might be a factor you should consider. You can get there in about 8 to 10 hours (connecting through Miami). It will be about 9.5 to 11 hours getting home. Be prepared to leave LAX somewhere around midnight in order to make the connection out of MIA but you'll get to Provo around lunchtime. For the return you'll have more departure time choices. You should have no difficulty finding accommodations in your price range.

I'd skip Anguilla for this trip as you'll eat up a large portion of your time just getting there and back and the cost for airfare could easily exceed your "airfare budget".

Same with the BVI's - long travel time (multiple connecting flights and/or ferries) and high costs just to get there. The BVI's are not where you want to go for a short 3 to 4 night trip from LAX - you could end up spending more time getting there and back then actually being there.

Look closely too at Belize or the Riviera Maya as suggested by earlier responders - those destinations should fit your budget and won't take too much time to reach from LAX.