Search

Miami airport question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:33 AM
Kath

Miami airport question

I know I should probably be posting this on the "Airlines" board, but that board doesn't get a lot of traffic so I thought I would try here (actually tried LA first and didn't get exactly what I was looking for but they tried). I'm looking for someone who has flown internationally through Miami recently. <BR><BR>I am flying from DFW to Lima Peru in December. The flight down there is a direct flight, but the return flight stops in Miami. I have heard from friends that I will not be able to check my bags all the way through to DFW. I was told I would have to get my bag off in Miami, go through customs with it, leave the secured area and go back to the main ticket counter to check the bag to DFW, go back through security and then on to my gate? Is this correct? The airline is only giving me a little over an hour in which to accomplish all this, seems like it could be tough. Hoping to hear from someone who's flown internationally into Miami and on to a connecting flight who can help out. Thanks.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:43 AM
Statia

Kath:<BR><BR>Nothing has changed when flying thru MIA internationally, either entering or leaving the US. However, if you are flying two different airlines, then you might have a bit of a dilemma.<BR><BR>I connected internationally thru MIA last week (on American) and things were just as they've always been. You clear immigration first, and then claim your baggage. You must clear your baggage thru customs, then they immediately put your bags thru to your next flight (they'll already be tagged from check in).<BR><BR>However......you might have to check in (and recheck your baggage) at the outside check in counter if you are flying two different airlines that do not have a contract agreement to check your bags all the way from Lima to DFW.<BR><BR>You might want to contact the airlines to see what they have to say. Good luck.<BR>

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:47 AM
Kath

Statia<BR><BR>Thanks. I've never been through Miami airport, so I have nothing to compare it to and I'll be by myself so I'm a little nervous. That said, it's American all the way through from Lima to Dallas so it sounds like it should be fairly simple. Thank you for the info.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:53 AM
Eva

Kath, after you check your bags back in at MIA (after customs), you WILL re-enter the main terminal and go back through security. So move fast and get an airline representative help you out in time starts getting too tight. I know AA will tell you that yours is a "legal" connection -- I have a 52 minute connection at DFW on my way back from Belize, and going through immigration, customs AND security in such a short time doesn't seem humanly possible, but there it is.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:59 AM
Kath

Oh drat Eva that is just what I was dreading. Ack. If a direct flight back wasn't an extra grand, I'd fly back direct. What a nightmare. But millions do it and so will I.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:00 PM
colin

You always have to clear U.S customs and immigration at your first port of entry into the country, as after you have landed you now become a domestic passenger and domestic flights do not require customs to check your baggage at you final destination.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:33 PM
xxx

I just recently flew internationally thru Miami and almost missed my connecting. (I also flew American) At immigration the man was SO SLOW and we had 9 of us to get thru and get our connection. We had an hour and a half to get thru customs and immigration and on to our gate, which we thought was plently of time but the airport is huge! You'll have a long walk and have to go thru security again. I'm not trying to scare you but just to prepare you. When we walked (ran) up to our gate the people waiting to fly stand-by were just about to take our seats!