Search

Meridian Club

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meridian Club

I am seeing a sudden surge in defense of Meridian Club (under the luxury all-inclusive topic.) It is my favorite place in the Caribbean despite it's decidely rustic sense of luxury. However, I have had several cool, cloudy, windy, sometimes rainy March vacations there and Meridian Club needs to be beautiful weather to appreciate the real delight of the place. I'm stuck with a March Break in 2008.
Anybody have an idea of a place similar, but more reliably warm for ocean swimming in March? I am exploring Grenada as a possiblity. -While I have your attention, has anybody been to Meridian Club since the changeover in management and chefs? Also, I am interested in your comments and suggestions re: a possible alternative destination. As you may note from my earlier posts, a long, long beach for walking and warm weather are key desired features.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 03:11 PM

Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda would be a great alternative. It has a lovely, white sand beach for walking, calm water for swimming in the bay, generally reliable weather in March, beautiful accomodations, outstanding service, very good food, and a management that's on the ball. We have traveled all over the Caribbean and this is one of our favorites. Another is Cap Juluca on Anguilla. Lots of posts on this one. Tough choice between them.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 03:17 PM

From my past experiences, if it's cool and cloudy in T&C, it's usually cool and cloudy all over the Caribbean. Most islands don't really change more than 5 degrees from each other. If it's rainy there, probably windy and rainy all over.

T&C statically is actually one of the drier months.

Having said that, Angler gave you 2 great choices. I would think Anguilla is more your style based on your taste for T&C. I do feel Cap Jaluca would better suit you than Cusinart though.

Little Dix is gorgeous and awesome. Virgin Gorda is hilly and scenic, so might be a nice complete change?
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 06:35 AM

I haven't been back to Meridian since the managing couple left to go to Windmills a few years ago but it was my understanding that the "visiting chef" program continued. When we were last there, we had the fortunate experience of having one of the former Ritz's chefs who we knew from another island during our stay. They stayed only for periods of time (maybe 6 months - I don't remember) Has that changed?
I agree that the TCI (which really aren't in the Caribbean) are not warm enough for me in March nor after September/November but that is a personal preference.
I would have some troubles suggesting Little Dix especially in the light of my recent visit there altho it was just for lunch and a look-see. It has been expanded and the beach is larger than my old pictures show but it was, and there is no other word for it, crowded with kids of all ages. It was the beginning of March so maybe it was the start of Spring Break season but it did reinforce all that I had heard about highchairs, squeeling kids and families that has stopped my returning there - altho it was one of my absolute favorites when it was a RockResort years ago and not something that compared to many other spots. I do love Virgin Gorda but March water can be chilly in the more northern islands. The water was quite choppy with heavy North Swells in the BVI which can happen.
If it's the BVI, I might consider Peter or Guana Isand or even Jumby Bay off Antigua (altho haven't been since it too is now managed by Rosewood).
I am anxious to hear what Sir Richard is planning on Moskito Island and all the premilinary reports sound great but that's a few years down the Passage!
BTW, I also agree that Cap would be a good choice but it's not the same "all inclusive" with the food - am sure that a food plan is available - but, on Angilla, one would not be making a good decision to eat in with all the good places to choose!
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Perhaps it's just coincidence, but I have experienced markedly cooler weather on Eleuthera and Pine Cay in March compared to trips deeper south. If you think that was pure fluke, I might be tempted to risk it again.
My first Meridian Club visit was while Bev and Wally (now at Nisbet Plantation) were managing. This first trip, they had the visiting Chef program...noteworthy meals. The second year Bev and Wally were still there. The long time British Chef who seemed to work when a Visiting Chef was not on the island was in charge at that point. Meals were good, but not necessarily exciting. My most recent visit, new manager, local to the Turks and Caicos and a local cook were newly on board. Still fine, but more adequate than memorable. I think it was too early in their time there to fairly assess "things," but I thought that someone might have experienced the Island recently and could update me.
I think that the tone had changed a bit, but I couldn't quite pinpoint what it was. Perhaps it had more to do with concerns of the Homeowners??
At any rate, I will keep checking into this Board until I have to book something. I appreciate having access to all the interesting reports and comments. This year, my Caribbean vacation will have to be through vicarious experience...
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 10:32 AM

allie we just got back from the mc last week. bev and wally plachta are back as managers from their previous stint at nisbet plantation in nevis. everyone seemed thrilled to have them back, and they were their usual accommodating selves. there have been some upgrades to the dining room, including new ceiling fans, and ceiling. bedrooms were recently painted and more room upgrades are in the works according to several of those we spoke to. we enjoyed the food for the most part. presentation was very nice and the choices were varied. in fact we found the food improved since our last visit in 2002 when they had the visiting chef program. beachplum, the visiting chef program is over.

now about the weather. it was awful. we had a monsoon and it really put a damper on our week. we checked the weather maps though and this weather system looked like it had engulfed the entire caribbean so i don't know that we would have been better off elsewhere. that being said i don't know if i would go back there in march. i think i would wait til the first week in april.

on the two beautiful days we had, the beach was the same. just breathtaking. we love this place and could go back year after year, although as you said we will need to evaluate the time of year.

if you have specific questions, go ahead and post them.