Caneel Bay Resort - Cottage 7

Old Apr 7th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caneel Bay Resort - Cottage 7

Wife and I are planning a trip to Caneel Bay Resort for an anniversary/tennis getaway. Please advise your experience there. We like our privacy and wonder if rooms in Cottage 7 are worth the extra cost. Thank you.
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 03:02 PM

Hi there,

I recall Stankase talking about Cottage #7 so I looked it up. I located a couple of threads and here is the most recent one.... it looks like Stankase recommends only rooms C, D, E, and F.

Hopefully he'll chime in with more information.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...5&tid=34970504
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 03:05 PM

Here's the other thread I saw.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...5&tid=34649317
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 03:46 PM

It's difficult to know what makes something "worth" a certain price. The cottage point rooms are somewhat larger than the other rooms and the views and privacy are for sure wonderful.
BUT: We think the views are just as good from the Cottage Point accommodations and, in fact, we think from some of those rooms the privacy is even better. From most of the lanais on Cottage Point it's not possible to be seen, whereas my memory is that Cottage 7 lanais are a tiny bit less private.
One difference, by the way, is that on most of the CP rooms, you're kind of almost hanging over the water, or rather there's some trees/shrubs kind of thing in front of you and then the water. With Cottage 7, you're less close to the water in that sense; there's an expanse of grass between your room and the water. You can get to the beach (Scott or Paradise) a little more quickly from Cottage 7 than you can from Cottage Point rooms (they're up higher)-- a difference of maybe 2-3 minutes.
In short, privacy is fine from both (but less good, imo, from anywhere else on the grounds except Little Caneel rooms/lanais.)
You'll love your anniversary getaway! (I've hardly ever seen people on those tennis courts, by the way.)
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 06:19 AM

Rooms A and B in Cottage 7 are in the front and views are not nearly as impressive. Also, the tooms are almost twice as large as the rest of the Caneel rooms (generally a bit small but nice) with lots of windows and a little nocely furnished but not elegant but in keeping with the inder-stated ambiemce of the resort. While Cottage #7 is up on a knoll it as a beautiful view and is only maybe 75+/- yards to what is almost a private beach for the Cottage though it is not limited only to the guests in the cottage. it is a smaller intimate beach but with never more than 4-6 people on it in our 3 stays at the Cottage. But Hawks Nest (2 stays there) is nice on second floor-end room but just not as comfortable. Yes it is about $100/day more but we think it is worth it $7500 for a week with air fare. But what a week. Best time is late April-mid-June and mid-Nov. to mid-Dec. when rates are 20% less. Summer can be iffy but a bit less. By the way Cottage #7 is on request only so put a back-upf Hawks Nest second floor-end.
Enjoy either way you go.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all - sounds like Cottage 7 may be better for us. That said, I'm doing another post to compare tennis program at Caneel with Little Dix. Little Dix does have suite or villa accommodation which we might prefer. Any comments about this would be appreciated.