meals at the jalousie

Feb 27th, 2003, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

meals at the jalousie

i've been reading some of the comments about the jalousie and their food. i still can't decide whether or not to take the meal plan. if the food is mediocre all over the island, am i better off just eating at the hotel. also, do i need a reservation for wed. nites at bang?. what time is the show? thanks.
Feb 27th, 2003, 07:48 AM

I definitely recommend a reservation for the Wednesday night Bang; when I was there in the off-season the tables were packed in there elbow to elbow and the place was hopping. A few people just showed up and were turned away while I was there because there was no more room.

I'm one of the people who was not impressed with the food at Jalousie. For me, the atmosphere at both the casual Pier restaurant and the upscale Plantation was better than the food. But I still had a great time, despite my rants about the freshness of the fare.

I opted not to get the allinclusive plan there because it wouldnt have been cost effective for me--there's no way I would have eaten and drunk it's daily worth. And if I had purchased it, I would've been reluctant to go off site and try other restaurants.

Anse Chastenet and Ladera resorts aren't too far from Jalousie, and I think it's definitely worth it to try them each once for dinner. The view alone from Ladera is worth the price of admission, IMO.

And though I didn't go into this in other posts, my two main complaints about the food at Jalousie were not that it was outright bad. I was disappointed in the lack of fresh produce and seafood made available at the time of my visit. The chefs at that time were relying on heavy sauces and hearty meat preparations like Osso Bucco, which I don't want to eat in 80 degree weather. I was there two summers ago; if the food has changed since then, I'm delighted to hear it.

There are plenty of chefs all over St. Lucia who are skilled in incorporating the local produce and seafood into tasty meals. It's definitely not "mediocre all over the island."

Hope this helps. If I can answer specifis for you, please let me know. [email protected]
Feb 27th, 2003, 09:24 AM

I opted for the All Inclusive plan, as we got a very good rate from our travel agent.

It just took all thought about any costs off your mind, as the prices are not cheap. We certainly didn't even consider getting our moneys worth on a daily basis as ejcrowe suggests he/she would have been concerned about doing. It just helps to relax more.

As for the freshness of the produce, well we had no complaints about that. Everything seem just fine (we visited last summer).

The atmosphere in the restaurants was good, with the Plantation Club being a smarter style then the others, I would not have been comfortable wearing shorts for dinner there, but the other restaurants have a much more relaxed feel to them.

Any more, just ask [email protected]
Feb 28th, 2003, 06:53 AM

I wouldn't take the meal plan for the reasons given ny ejcrowe- you would have to eat and drink a lot to get your money's worth. Even though we didn't take the meal plan when we were there on our honeymoon this past summer, we ate all put two of our meals at the Jalousie. As I said in a previous post, I found the food to be delicious. The only food that did not agree with me the whole time was a hamgurger I had. I have heard that beef is not the best at many retaurants at St. Lucia because they have to import it. I tried to stick with fish and chicken, salads, pastas, etc. Having said all that, I think all this talk about food at Jalousie really overshadows the main reason to go there--beautiful scenery in a secluded, get away from it all setting. You will not regret going there for your for your vacation.
Feb 28th, 2003, 09:13 AM

befri, we had all inclusive meal/drink at the Jalousie and would opt not to have it next time, for same reasons stated above by ejcrowe and keepitreal. Although we felt the food freash and good. I really can't tell you to much though, my head was in the clouds from the location of the resort. Food was so secondary to the experience of this beautiful location. I'd have been happy with hotdogs. I must say though that one of my favorite snacks late evening was the steak sandwich at candle lite, Palm Court Balcony. I thought there beef was excellent, imported from South America, some of the best beef in the world comes from this area of the world.
Mar 2nd, 2003, 07:13 AM

Despite my previous negative postings about the food at Jalousie, I couldn't agree more with keepitreal. The bottom line is, even if I had been served nothing but peanut butter and jelly sandwiches all week at the Jalousie, it wouldn't have interfered with my enjoyment of the gorgeous setting. In a place as beautiful as Jalousie on an island full of natural loveliness, it really IS silly to scrutinize the food in such a manner.

Search this Thread