St. Lucia - Hilton

Feb 26th, 2003, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

St. Lucia - Hilton

Debating the trip here for my honeymoon.....any comments or recommendations?

Thanks
Feb 26th, 2003, 05:40 AM

The Jalousie could be right up your alley, or you could be miserable there, depending on what you're looking for on your honeymoon. I spent a week there two summners ago and thought it was heaven on earth. It was stunningly beautiful, not just the hotel's location, but the whole island.

Despite its large size, the hotel still felt intimate to me, and not at all like a chain hotel. (Which I try to stay away from). The villa suites are very generous in size and the private plunge pools terrific for falling into first thing in the morning to wake up, or for star gazing at night (the mosquitos get active at night, and most of your body is underwater in the pool, so it's perfect.) The bathrooms are very nice, and the whole villa can be air-conditioned if you don't want to use the natural breezes.

The beach is lovely, never crowded when I was there. Snorkeling was really good just off the beach. The pool area was also nice, but I never used it. Spa facilities are not as frou-frou as the upscale spa in my hometown, but still good solid massages and other services. I didn't use the par-3 golf course, either. The workout facilities looked really good.

The food, however, was just plain not good. Most of the time not horrible, either, though. You only have one choice for breakfast, one choice for lunch, and two choices for dinner. I ventured out for dinner twice in the week I was there to the restaurant next door. However, one does not generally travel to the Caribbean for the food. And I never went hungry at the Jalousie, so take this criticism with a grain of salt.

The hotel also feels VERY isolated, which I loved, but if you're looking to get out and about, or if you're looking for nightlife, you might not want to stay here. (Unless you don't mind taking taxis or renting a car. Driving can be perilous and taxis expensive, though)

Feel free to email me with specific questions if you like. All in all, I think this place is very romantic and beautiful, and if you just want lots of private time in glorious surroundings with your new spouse, Jalousie could be the place.

If you do want to be in St. Lucia, but a more active schedule, you might want to check into Le Sport i nthe north near Castries. Also, both Anse Chastenet and Ladera on the southern part of the island near the Pitons, offer a more unique experience than the Jalousie does. But a lot of folks traveling in the Caribbean don't want rooms with only 3 walls and the other wall open to the view below them. Very dramatic, yes. BUt perhaps not comfortable for everyone.

[email protected]
Feb 26th, 2003, 12:06 PM

I would agree with a lot of what the previous poster has to say. Personally, for a honeymoon, I think you would be hard pressed to make a better choice than the Jalousie Hilton. It is very scenic, like being in the middle of an arboretum, stunning views of the Pitons, a nice clean white sand beach that is very quiet and rooms are quite luxurious. This is a subjective matter, but I do not agree with the statement that the food is "plain not good". I do not consider myself someone who is a picky eater nor do I expect gourmet food, but I will not put up with food that is not tasty and fresh. All of the food I had at Jalousie was just fine. Athough the previous message says you only have "one choice" for breakfast, this means there is a choice of one restaurant, not one menu selection. Breakfast is a buffet which is excellent, with lots of choices to please everybody. We didn't try the upscale Plantation restaurant for dinner, but we enjoyed the Italian and seafood buffets that were offered and the quality of the food was quite good. Also try the Bang Restaurant which is on the beach right next to the hotel property. Wednesday night is the time to go to Bang because they feature an impressive floor acrobatic show. As the previous writer said, it is secluded, which makes it a great choice for a honeymoon if you want to be with each other and away from other distractions.
Feb 26th, 2003, 01:42 PM

I think it's a great choice. It's got location, location. Yes, it is isolated and some of the dinners are so-so but you can get around that. The staff are excellent. I was very pleased with my stay there.
Feb 27th, 2003, 05:31 AM

I agree with most of the above, but I think ejcrowe's statement about the food is not very accurate, although everyone has their own taste. A lot of people grumble at the cost of food and drink when they are there, as it is not cheap. We went All Inclusive, and hey, no worries about the cost, so we ate most evenings in the Plantation Club, except when there were 'special nights' on at one of the other restuarants.
Feb 27th, 2003, 05:35 AM

I forgot to say I have some photo's

http://mstuttard.co.uk/stlucia/
Mar 2nd, 2003, 07:31 AM

Despite my negative postings about the food (see above), I would like to say that my time at Jalousie was still amazing! Debating the pros and cons of something like food in a setting as Eden-like and tranquil as the Jalousie seems a little misguided.

And yes, I'm glad the previous poster pointed out my mistake in an earlier post. "One choice" for breakfast or dinner meant one restaurant. There was always plenty to selection at every meal.

And though I did not find the food to be good for the most part, I did not find it to be bad, either. My two main complaints about the food were that not enough fresh produce and seafood were being utilized for lunch and dinner; and that during the time I was there 2 years ago, the chefs were concentrating on duplicating heavy Continental dishes like Osso Bucco, something that I didn't want to be eating in a tropical locale.

Whether the Jalousie fits the bill for your preferred type of vacation is a serious issue, but please don't let the discussion of the food be a deciding factor for you.

Search this Thread