Luxury on a budget....Help and Suggestions?

Old Mar 31st, 2008, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luxury on a budget....Help and Suggestions?

Hi all,
My husband and I are FINALLY ready to plan a relaxing Caribbran vacation; it's been a while. We stayed at the Malliouhana for our Honeymoon and are thinking about going back there, we loved the resort and the island, but I'd like to consider someplaces that we haven't been.

Our WANTS:
1. Beautiful beach and accomodations
2. Excellent food and service
3. An island that we can feel safe driving around and going to some local restaurants
4. Nightlife and gambeling hold NO INTERST for us.

Any resort suggestions would really be appreciated. So far I have looked a little into:
Malliouhana
Cuisinart
Spice Island
Little Dix Bay

I know that these resorts are on the pricey-er side...if you have suggestions that could save me some money, that would be great, we'd have to stay in the very basic room at any of the above places.

We are really open to any island execept Jamaica, we've been there a few times.

Any expereince with the Paradisus in Punta Cana?

Thanks for the advice in advance.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 04:45 PM

You may want to consider Mexico too. There is a little island off Cancun called Isla Mujeres. It is a small island, but plenty to keep you busy. There is a beautiful 5 star that gets great ratings and is very reasonable called Villa Rolandi. I have not stayed there but have looked at it and would stay there in a second. We were with our kids last trip on the island at Ixchel Beach Condos so it was out of the question. There is a great little downtown area that is a quck taxi ride away full of great little restaurants and shops for something different. The island is so safe. My 8 year old daughter and I would walk all over the streets at night. It felt much safer than the suburbs I'm in. We can't wait to return...with or without the kids. There were also some smaller interesting boutique places, but I don't think their food is as excellent as Rollandi's.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, I haven't heard of that resort. We did stay at the JW Marriot in Cancun, in fact, that was our last "beach vacation". We really want to focus on the Carribean this time, but thanks for the reply.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 01:27 PM

several carib posters have apparently quite successfully used www.luxurylink.com
they list resorts. you can bid in an auction or do a buy now. pretty much like ebay.
check out this threads:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...xt=luxury+link

a/or type luxury link into the search box to read more.

i've just been researching virgin gorda for a trip this fall and it appears to be almost crime free so ldb might be a nice choice.
also, provo, t&c is known to be quite safe and has wonderful restaurants. look at grace bay club,turks & caicos club. there are several lux newer resorts that i'm not familiar with, but if you type blamona (a posters name) in the search box and scroll and click turks you'll find excellent reviews of them all.
i assume you know that travel between mid april and mid nov is much less than nov to april.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 02:19 PM

I second the vote for "Villa Rolandi" on Isla Mujeres!!!! I was there last fall and am headed back next month! Totally LOVE it there! - very luxurious, gourmet food AND FOR WHAT ALL is included VERY AFFORDABLE!!!!!!!! (their private yatch picks you up in "Grand Style" in Cancun and wisks you away to their dock at their resort! The island is fun too - best and freshest seafood ever! www.villarolandi.com I cant wait till next month!
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:49 PM

Well keep in mind that of the resorts you're considering, Spice Island is all inclusive, so those prices reflect the cost of meals & drinks. It's a gorgeous resort on a lovely beach on an island that is quickly becoming my favorite in the Caribbean. Lush, mountainous, fun restaurants, great beach bars, waterfalls, rainforst, wonderful open air market downtown--this island has everything I need to make a fabulous vacation!

I've not stayed at Spice, but I've had several meals there (all lunches) and enjoyed the great food and cordial service.