Virgin Gorda - Day trips from

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending 6 days on Virgin Gorda in July and would like to see some other areas in the BVI. What are some suggestions for day trips? Are there charter boat options for trips like this to neighboring islands? We like the idea of shopping one day - would that be Tortola? We would also like to see some of the quieter islands - especially the local beach bars.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 11:39 AM

Tortola offers some interesting (and fairly decent) shopping opportunities. You can take a ferry between those islands. If you are looking for a bigger "Duty Free" shopping experience you can make your way over to St. thomas but it's a long trek by ferry (about 1 1/2 to 1/3/4 hours each way).

If you are staying at one of the major resorts (Little Dix, Biras Creek or BEYC) they will have different day trips to various islands like perhaps Peter Island, Norman Island or even Anegada. Check with the Activities Desk or Concierge for details. Getting to any of the other islands like Cooper, Guana or Jost Van Dyke can be more difficult but doable if you are willing to "pay the price" for a private charter. Again the Activities Staff at your resort can help you.

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 11:52 AM

I realize I didn't include ta link for the Ferry Schedule:

http://bvivacations.com/Ferry.html#JVD

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 01:54 PM

For a fun day of snorkeling out on the water, consider taking a daytrip with Double D charters out of Virgin Gorda. We had stops to snorkel at Peter Island, Norman Island caves, the Indians, and the wreck of the Rhone, with lunch at the Willy T thrown into the mix. Really great way to see some interesting snorkel sites.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:22 AM

Shopping would require a ferry over to road town in tortola. Quieter islands - would be Anegada known for its beautiful secluded beaches.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 07:31 AM

I'd recommend a day trip to Anegada. Even though we weren't staying there, the Bitter End allowed us on their trip. I believe it was $85.00 per person and included lobster lunch at the Big Bamboo on Loblolly Bay. The beaches are stunning, well worth the trip.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link to the ferry schedule and the suggestions for places to visit!

A few more questions...
Is there a ferry service from Virgin Gorda to Jost Van Dyke or only private charters? I hear there are some fun beach bars there. Is it worth the trip or would that only be a small portion of a day trip? I like the idea of visiting Anegada as well. Is Bitter End's trip the only option from Virgin Gorda to get to Anegada?
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:00 PM

There is no direct ferry from VG to Jost van Dyke. You’ll need to take a ferry from Spanish Town/The Valley to Road Town, Tortola and then get a taxi to West End to catch the ferry to Jost van Dyke. It can be done but it’ll take time and $$$.

Smiths ferry runs from Spanish Town/The Valley, VG to Anegada on Mon/Weds/Fri. Reservations are required 24 hrs in advance.

Hope you have a great time.