luxury link, virtuoso and deals

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I would like to know about using luxury link, virtuoso and the like for what seem to be the most recommended resorts. Particularly Jumby Bay, Cap Juluca, Maillahouana(?), Parrot Cay, Caneel and the like. Do most people pay the rates listed on their websites or are there deals available? I am particularly interested in Cap. You are all so generous with your information, I would be grateful for any ideas. Thanks!
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 09:50 AM

The only real deals at LuxuryLink (in my experience) are the auctions, and you have to do your homework with those.
The pre-packaged deals with set prices are often no better than what you can create via Expedia or other sites.
But the auctions CAN be a great deal.

You need to figure out what rack rates are, and price via Expedia, Travelocity etc, then figure out what the upper limit of your range would be.
Sometimes you can get great savings, many times the auctions end up bidding up close to rack rates.

I've not found any significant discounts with Virtuoso.
I already belong to "free upgrade" programs thru AmExPlatinum and Leaders' Club (Leading Hotels of the World) so Virtuoso doesn't offer much that I can't get on my own.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:32 AM

I hate to repeat myself (and don't want to bore anyone!)

The best deals, besides luxury link are thru a travel wholesaler. Luxury Link does have great deals, BUT you must pay with a credit card within 24 hours of winning the auction. There are plenty of people that do not have that kind of room on their card or do not want to put such a large charge on thier card. If you are one of those people, the best bet for you is booking your trip thru a TA and asking to book thru a wholesaler such as Travel Impressions, Classic Custom, as you can only book thru a TA for wholesalers. The deposit is $418.00 and the rest is due 45 days prior to departure. I see you are interested in Cap Juluca - the best price right now is thru Classic Custom. Virtuoso charges rack rates (full charge) but they say they will give you a "free upgrade" IF AVAILABLE. Not deal there. Classic is owned by Expedia, but I find Expedia's prices to be higher than Classic. And Expedia does not tell you/price out about packages. The Romantic Rendezvous Package at Cap is very popular, but Expedia does not have it listed. You will definately save money with Classic as their rates are lower than rack. Also, you will save $$ on air with Classic as will book air/hotel. If you know you want to go to Cap, I advise you to book ASAP so you get the room you want. I tried booking for a client for this November and they are sold out already. So go to Caps website www.capjuluca.com figure out what you want and how you want to get there (fly to San Juan and then connect via American Eagle to Anguilla OR fly to St. Martin and get a ferry,private charter/private plane to Anguilla) I don;t know when you are going but they will be re-doing the airport in Anguilla soon. I also think American Eagle will not be flying into Anguilla starting Jan 2004, but not sure.

You can visit classic's website at www.ccv.com - you can look, but you cannot book, only a TA can book for you.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:45 AM

Sandy, I wish all travel liaisons--I won't use the term travel agent in case it appears derogatory here--whether semi-professional (like yourself) or full time, were as helpful and knowledgable as you are.
Do you book trips/vacations for Fodorites?
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:58 AM

thank you rwilliams, so very nice of you
I haven't booked anyone from Fodors. I would like to only because I know I could do better for a lot of people money wise. Some people spend too much on a whole lot of crap and some go to the wrong destination with the wrong expectations and wind up disappointed.
I don't have rent,employees, utilities etc, I don't have to do the "hard sell", I don't have any overhead, I don't need to make the big $$ - LOL!

Now what I'd really like to do is write for a travel magazine or do hotel research - Boy that job has to stink - yeah right!

My next life I want to come back as Samantha Brown from the travel channel
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Sandy feet, I appreciate your kind sharing of information. The thing is, I am not sure I understand. I visited the website you recommended and they list the same rates as Cap Juluca does on its website. Do they only reveal them to travel agents? I will not need air, and at this point I am flexible about when to go. Probably next summer or possibly January. I have looked on Luxury link, but there aren't any listings for Cap or Jumby Bay. Thanks!
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 02:11 PM

I've had very good luck with both the regular and best shot auctions on luxurylink. On occasion I've seen an auction or two get bid up too high, but for the most part they seem to close somewhere between 75-50% of the full rates listed on the resort's website.

I also agree that their other packages featured under 'best buys' or 'exclusives' generally aren't any better than what you could get elsewhere.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 05:54 PM

I thought ai was very claear in my post, you can only book Classic Custom Vacations thru a Travel Agent. They will not price out a vacation for you and they do not post any prices on their website. you can look at their website for locations/resorts that they supply only. If you call a TA and ask them to price out Cap thru Classic Custom Vacations on your specified dates without air they will do so... thru a Travel Agent only.