Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Cap Juluca - Book direct or use Travel Agency?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Catherine

I am planning a trip to Cap Juluca. Are there any benefits to using a travel agency rather than booking direct with the resort (ie. a better rate, a connection for room choices, special package deals, etc.)? If so and someone has used one for CJ, could you please forward me the info. Thanks to all who respond. I find this "board" very helpful and plan to help others after our return from CJ.<BR><BR>Catherine

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 04:02 PM
anonymous

I stayed there this summer and the price is the same for Cap Juluca whether you book directly or with a travel agent (I checked). I booked with a "Virtuoso" travel agent to get a free amenity. American Express as well as others are virtuoso agents. I have read that there is only one travel agency offering a discount on airfare for cap juluca, but I cannot remember the name. Anyway, you can probably find a cheap airfare on your own.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Joan

I always use a Travel professional when booking an expensive vacation such as Cap Juluca. The rates are the same as posted on the CJ website as well as special rates. The reason I use a Travel Agent is I know I have back up, if I am unhappy with something I call her and she fixes it. I always, always get airline tickets thru a TA because I like having "real" tickets with a seat assignment. My TA is an American Express Travel Agency. She has been to all four corners of the world and everywhere in between. When I ask her about a particular destination, she will know automatically if I will like it or not. I went on a vacation this past spring. We were terribly disappointed, as we did not get what we paid for. The resort did not try to accommodate us in any way. When we returned home, I called my TA, wrote her a letter and 1 month later had a full refund wired directly into my savings account. Would I have received that refund without a knowledgeable Travel Professional backing me up?? Most likely NO! Since using a travel agent is no cost to you, why not have someone book it all - airline, transfers, hotel, and insurance....it makes life soooooo much easier and helps a struggling industry! I am going to CJ this year and booked it thru a TA, also got a great air fare!

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 05:22 PM
anonymous

I remembered. The name of the company that offers discount airfare with a cap juluca vacation is www.classiccaribbean.com. Packages are offered via a travel agency.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 06:02 PM
Nancy

I have to agree with Joan. We always use a travel agent. When going on an expensive vacation it is good to have a back up. If there is a problem you have someone who will fight for you. By the way, our trip to Anguilla was booked thru our TA who booked thru classic caribbean vacations. About 3 weeks before we left we decided to extend our vacation an additional 2 days and there was no addtional charge. I may be wrong but if you book through the internet (especially air fare) I think there may be a charge for changing reservations. You will love Anguilla and Cap Juluca.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 09:32 PM
Catherine

Thanks to those who replied. More input appreciated!<BR><BR>Catherine

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 04:16 AM
Adrienne

Cap Juluca offers a discount through the Andrew Harper Q Club (www.andrewharper.com.). You have to pay to join, but the savings more than paid for the cost of membership. Of course this may vary depending on the time of year you go, but they can tell you what the savings would be before you join. This is what I did (I'm going in Nov.) You also get a free room upgrade if available. I found this out directly from the Cap Juluca reservations agent.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 10:20 AM
anon

Also try luxurylink.com. Cap Juluca is listed at this website (for general information) & is at auction until 10/10/02. I don't know if using this website will save you any money. Check cap juluca's website for deals as well.