Search

Lubbers Quarters help

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lubbers Quarters help

My husband and I will be staying in Sealevel Cottages in May??/ Anyone with inside info will be greatly appreciated...also a boat comes with the rental but do you need a golf cart for evening
thanks in advance
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:39 PM

Robert, who is a regular Fodors poster stayed at Sealevel this past summer. I’m sure that he’ll respond. We’ve stayed on Lubber’s twice at Green Bananas, just north of Sealevel. I don’t feel that a golf cart is necessary. My wife, who’s not much of a walker, walked to Cracker P’s. Make sure that you have a flashlight for your return walk. Other than that there’s no other place to go on Lubber’s. I even used the boat to take the trash to Hopetown.

If you haven’t found it, check in on the Abacos board (http://coconuttelegraph.net/forums/ ) and order a copy of the Dodge Guide (http://www.wspress.com/books.htm ) .

Great little island and one of our more memorable travel experiences. The Abacos are a gem.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for response and may I ask about the phone system. I have read Dr. Ralphs website and am curious if it still that archaic
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 10:59 AM

It's essentially communication via VHF radio. While certainly not the intended purpose of VHF it works quite well in the Abacos. We gave our children the Cruiser's Net web site to notify us in an emergency.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 12:00 PM

Hi Kuhno5.

I was booked at Sealevel cottages in may as well, but am starting over because I want to be on an island with more to do for my honeymoon. seems like they are nice people, and the place is good. It's so small you won't need anything but a boat from what I understand. If you were on Guana or Elbow Cay, then maybe. I hear the nature walk is nice on Lubbers. I was given a referral's email by austin if you are interested in asking them, they stayed there a few weeks ago... you may e-mail me at [email protected].
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 03:36 PM

Hello from Robert; I stayed at Sealevel Cottages this past June/July. We stayed in the no A/C "honeymoon" cottage, with ceiling fans. My wife has been a little ill with sarcoidosis, but still had great time. The boat was included in the price, as is all of Sealevel cottage arrangements. Only did several reef fish surveys, due to wife's illness, but snorkeled much around the dock area. You don't need a golf cart to get to Cracker P's, but it's about a half mile walk. The last 400 feet takes you along a path that ends in their lawn. If you walk, take a flashlight for after dark trekking back to Sealevel. I believe Austin has bought that dense plot of land, with many native plants, shrubs and trees, and is going to make it into a wildlife area, complete with nature cottages to stay in. The other Sealevel cottages are right on the water and have A/C. Each day, we would take the boat to Elbow Cay and eat lunch or dinner in Hopetown, and stop at Tahiti Beach on the way back to Lubber's Qtrs. Cay. Tahiti beach lies directly across from Cracker P's, and often we would dock there, which is about a thousand feet from Sealevel docks, and have a cold one. If I'm not mistaken, you can't get to Cracker P's by golf cart from Sealevel, but you can ride along the dirt road up to the "jungle" trail I described above, and walk through it to Cracker P's. All the boats are well-maintained by Austin. You can also head south from Lubbers to some excellent parks and snorkelilng areas, as pictured on their website...you become Robinson Crusoe. My wife and I like animals, and after a few days, we had a pet rooster and cat than came inside our cottage whilst we ate (received a few handouts). Tree frogs very loud at night, and nighthawks soar over the jungle canopy in the evenings and night, scooping up mosquitoes in flight. Mosquito problem wasn't bad. Good fishing from the dock; ask Austin about the proper bait. Nurse sharks frequent close to shore; I actually swam with them as them glided through. Don't panic if you meet the huge barracuda that hangs out under the Sealevel boats. His/her name is "Rambo" and it scared the hell out of me while I snorkeled under a docked boat at Sealevel's dock. It was enormous, for a Barracuda, unnaturally thick for a Barracuda and over 5 feet. Turns out, Rambo is harmless, just ferocious-looking with huge angled teeth and large body. It frequents Cracker P's and Sealevel docks at dinner time and, yes, they toss it hot dogs, mac&cheese, whatever. Thus, it's large size. In May, you'll enjoy walking the dirt roads around Sealevel; many tropical plants, butterflies, hummingbirds, etc. Hope this helps. Robert
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank ya'll so much for your insight. Leahwedding--I agree everything I have read indicates this is a place to chill...It is our 20th anniversary and we pretty much want to plop our a$$ on a beach and recharge for the next 20. If you think of anything else--please post again