Looking for Family Upscale

Aug 11th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Looking for Family Upscale

Hi -

Looking to go to Jamaica. 2 couples in our 30's, one 2 year old, one 1 year old.

We would like to have a nice beach, nice pool, preferably an AI but doesn't have to be. Important is to have some sort of baby sitting service and activities for the kids. We plan on spending most of the time together but would like to have a couple adult nights out and have someone look over the kids.

I've looked at the Ritz MoBay and am surprised at the mixed reviews and how "un Ritz" people think it is. The FDR family of resorts seems to be a little "low rent" (not trying to be snobby, just don't want to sacrifice food/experience for the sake of having a nanny). Also, looked at renting a villa at Prospect Plantation with staff but am worried we'll get bored.

Any suggestions? The only real reason we settled on Jamaica is because one group is coming from Los Angeles and Jamaica seems to be the easiest travel to the Carribean. Would consider other alternatives.

Thanks in advance.
Aug 12th, 2006, 12:46 AM

Look into HALF MOON and ROUND HILL with the option of a private villa at either.
Both have kids programs and plenty of activities/nannies. Beach is better at Half Moon than at Round Hill which is smaller, more intimate style. Both upscale and more impressive than Ritz.
Aug 12th, 2006, 11:47 AM

I agree with tiv - the service and space of a villa but with kid stuff to do nearby. My daughter and I were looking at osme last night and when she saw "golf cart included" her eyes just lit up...and they have a kids club and all that too

My own kids at that age though, were happy to just play in the water and in the sand.
Aug 13th, 2006, 09:36 AM

I would do HalfMoon.I can't say enough nice things about it.
I would go back in a second and am shortly!
Aug 13th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Haven't been to Jamaica but have stayed at Beaches in Turks & Caicos and it's a gooder higher end AI with excellent kids club. Separate one for younger kids (up to 5, I think) and then one for 6-12 and one for teens. Well staffed and reliable and available all day (our kids were 8 and 10 and it was up till 9pm at night) so you could go to a nice restaurant with no kids, should you choose. Food was good and they include all the brand of drinks you'd know from home and that's part of the price. Only additional cost is any day trips you might want. There's 3 Beaches in Jamaica - looks like Negril might be the one we will try next year (we're doing Atlantis, Bahamas this year).
Aug 13th, 2006, 05:09 PM

I agree with both Half Moon and Round Hill on JA. In a nice area and both get good reviews and look like lovely properties.

imho, Beaches on TCI was one of the worst-looking resorts I have ever seen on any island. Crowded and over-run with people competing for too few amenities. I don't feel it is anywhere near the "upscale" experience the OP is looking for.
Aug 13th, 2006, 05:33 PM

We have a trip coming up in two weeks to Beaches Negril with our 3 year old. It was the only resort that I looked into that had kid's club services for children under age 5. You may want to check closely with any resort you consider to see what ages are covered in their children's clubs (e.g. Ritz was for older kids - nothing for under age 4 or 5).

I'll post back once we return from our trip and let you know how it goes.