Long vs short hikes ... St John & St. Lucia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaning toward St John due to the better beaches & snorkling, but not sure about the hiking experience. It looks like most of the hikes are less than two miles & many are less than 0.5 miles. Is it possible to put together longer hikes from those choices? We'd want to be able to hike for three to four hours a few times during the week. With lots of climbing I know that it can take that long to do a couple of miles. Comments from those with experience hiking STJ and STL (for comparison) would be appreciated.
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 04:07 PM

If you don't have a copy of Feet, Fins and Four WD by Pam Gaffin, I highly recommend it for a reference to STJ. She goes into great detail about the different hikes. Although I haven't looked at it, St John, Off the Beaten Track by Gerald Singer also gets good reviews as a reference. Just from reading the forums, I have read that Rams Head and the Reef Bay Trail (there and back) can be a little challenging. We have been to St Lucia twice as well and from what I know, most of the hikes there are organized as opposed to do it yourself.
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 05:36 PM

Hi wrigley2, Well, I have hiked on both islands and loved them both. If you want a nice long hike on STJ try combining the Cinnamon Bay Trail and the Reef Bay Trail...this way you can hike from the Atlantic to the Caribbean. On STL I would recommend the Gros Piton climb (guide required) and the Barre de L'isle Trail. Feel free to check out my hiking website www.naturalbornhikers.com where you can read about these and other hikes on both islands...just use the drop down box to navigate. let me know if you have any questions, and happy hiking wherever you choose ;-)
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 06:35 PM

I hate to *butt in* on a post... but would like to ask velodurt a question in case she/he reads this thread again.

Velodurt - I VERY much enjoyed taking a peek at your website... wonderful pics and descriptions. Would you please compare the snorkeling at Kealakakua Bay on the Island of Hawaii and the snorkeling at Leinster Bay / Waterlemon Cay (or other St. John locations) please? We've been to the former several times... and are going to the latter in June (1st time). Thanks!

Now back to the previously scheduled programming... thanks wrigley2
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 06:37 PM

oops... typo... meant Kealakekua Bay.
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 06:46 PM

Hi cawhite, glad you are enjoying our website...thanks! Okay, well...there is no comparison in imo...Kealakekua wins hands down!! Waterlemon and St John in general were really nice, but Kealakekua is out of this world! Our last time there we even got up close and personal with a pod of wild dolphins (did you see our pics?) check out our travel journal at www.nbhtravel.com and click on Hawaii 2004 if not. Your trip in June will be fantastic...get ready to be amazed! I assume you are going to kayak over to captain Cook yes?
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 08:58 PM

I've been to what I used to refer to as the 4 "main" islands of Hawaii several times since the early 70s, when I was a kid traveling with my parents. Being from California, Hawaii has always been our version of a tropical paradise. And yes, we went by kayak (Kona Bob's) the last time we did Kealakekua Bay... we looked and looked but didn't see any dolphins on our trip, however.

This June will be our 1st visit to the Virgin Islands. We'll be diving / snorkeling / staying in both the USVI and BVI and I'm so VERY curious as to how it will compare with Hawaii!

The day we visit Waterlemon Cay, we might go via a dinghy (http://www.calypsovi.com/dinghy.html), or we might just park and trek down... but no kayak this time!

Carole

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 11:18 AM

Hey cawhite, woops...I got your trips backwards. Well, anyway, you will love St John...a beautiful island with great hiking and snorkeling too...Waterlemon did seem to be the best on the island...don't miss it! Have a great trip!