Search

Little Dix Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little Dix Rooms

This April, I am planning my first stay at Little Dix Bay. Since I love beachfront, my preference for room choice is Ocean Cottage. I was told that this room was not available for the entire length of my stay, but that Premium Ocean View was close to the water and available; consequently, I booked that room.

If anyone has info about those roome, I would be most appreciative. Thanks for your time and help.
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 09:46 AM

We were at LD last December and absolutely loved our room (esp having been several times to Caneel and not thinking very highly of the rooms there-- ah, but the property at Caneel is great...)
In fact, I'd not be interested in staying in an Ocean Cottage at LD, for the same reason that we don't like Scott's beach at Caneel-- not enough privacy and views not real great. I never like to be on the ground floor (whether at motels or at fancy resorts; don't like having to keep drapes closed, etc. And views are almost always better from a bit of a "perch&quot
At LD, we had a premium ocean view room (we truly found those ocean cottages unappealing) and it was terrific. Way more spacious than rooms at Caneel and very lovely view and great privacy. I wish I knew the exact room number-- but it was one of the rooms to the right of the junior suites, sort of well to the right of those suites. (with your back to the water). Very convenient to the pool, the part of the beach we liked best, the spa, etc. Let me know if I can answer any more questions.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response poss. It was very reassuring since I was disappointed in not receiving my first choice. I am on a wait list for an ocean cottage, but upon your advise may not accept it if offered. Is premium ocean view on the ground level?

I love Caneel for its natual beauty, beautiful beaches and snorkeling, I will spend a week there before my stay at Little Dix. I am concerned about the off beach snorkeling there, but plan to do some day trips. As a woman traveling alone, I am concerned about safety of a beach drop off, even though they sound fabulous.

At Caneel, I stay upstairs at Hawksnest, beautiful view, very private beach. Those rooms are farthest from the main pavillian, but I enjoy the morning walk from there, inhaling the beauty of the sea and picturesque gardens. The shuttle runs frequently and there is never a long wait.

Thanks again for your help.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 05:49 AM

Premium ocean view is "up" a bit. In fact, I can't remember whether they're 2 story units, one up, one down, like Hawksnest, but in any case we always insist on an upper unit (for reasons previously mentioned). The premium ocean view is a bit more removed from the beach (abt 2 min. farther) than ocean cottage, which sits right on the sand. Since April is a bit after high season, you'll probably be able to switch rooms if you decide you prefer one type over the other once you get there.
As for the beach drop-offs: you may find that other folks are doing drop-offs when you are. But I would not hesitate to do a solo drop-off on Virgin Gorda-- not hesitate for one second. The beaches around that island are gorgeous (some even more so than the beaches at Caneel) and the snorkeling at many of them is great. The LD snorkeling isn't anywhere near as good as at Caneel-- though off the left side (facing sea) isn't bad at all, especially if you go well out and around the bend to the left.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks once again, poss. Your comments have been very helpful and reasuring. I think I will stay with Premium Ocean, and am glad to learn of the safety of the beach drpp-offs, It is something that I really want to do.
I plan to do a snorkeling trip to Anagenda and a dive trip. I have been to the Baths a coule of times, norman and Indians Rocks once, and would not be opposed to doing the latter again, having experienced my best ever snorkeling trip there. Along with being at Caneel the week prior, it should help me get my fish fix.

I really appreciate your thoughtfulness, and you have been very insightful.
Diane
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 12:25 PM

I was just at Little Dix and there is still a good amount of construction going on. I would request a room as close to the spa as possible. Anywhere on that side of the pavilion will be nice and quiet.

While we were there we stayed in the Rosewood Jr. Suite but looked in the other rooms to check them out. All of the rooms looked beautiful and I think you'll be happy in any of them.