Little Dix Bay - Need Help Soon!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first venture onto an internet forum and I am desperately seeking help. Hope I'll get a couple replies!!

I need to book tickets for my pending honeymoon this weekend (if possible) and I want to take my bride-to-be to Little Dix Bay.

We are stretching a little bit financially to do it but I know that she will have the biggest grin on her face when she arrives (at least from what I have heard). I am keeping the honeymoon destination as a surprise.

Given some recent research, I understand that Rosewood Resorts (property owner) is constructing condos above the property. I understand that they recently completed all the hotel renovations but I want to get comfortable with the noise level (if any) of the nearby construction. My fiance's grin will still be big but maybe not as pretty if she is hearing a jackhammer in the background? And I will be a little bit peeved given the price we would need to pay per night.

If that is the case, any other comparable caribbean destinations you might recommend?

Sorry for the short notice but I would greatly appreciate any insight from a recent visitor of Little Dix Bay.

THANKS!!!
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 12:05 PM

If you like the feeling of Little Dix, then you should investigate Rosewood's other USVI properties: Jumby Bay and Caneel Bay. Also, Four Seasons Nevis and Parrot Cay in Turks and Caicos are supposed to be amazing. What a great surprise - good luck!
http://www.rosewoodhotels.com
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 05:51 AM

Just got back from a Fabulous 2 week vacation touring The USVI and the
BVI. On Virgin Gorda, we stayed at
Leverick Bay(wouldn't recommend it
for a honeymoon)on our way there we
stopped at Little Dix for Lunch. It does have absolutely Gorgeous Grounds
and it very romantic. But our opinion
was that it didn't look like there was a whole lot to do. (Bear in mind we like fairly "active" vacations! And
it was in July which is slow season)
Anyway, we fell in love with a resort
called Bitter End. Talking about romantic...WOW! You get to it by a ferry(provided by resort)which is so
cool because you feel like you are on a deserted island(which I guess you are). Did you ever see the show "Fantasy Island'? That's what this reminded me of. Very Upscale, yet very casual. Lavish buffets, all of
the watersports that you could handle,unbelievable sunsets! We pretty much lived at this resort(because it
was so much fun) even though we were
at another resort. Took a small boat
(we rented it) and went over to Prickly Pear Island(unbelievable Beach) and snorkeled, drank and sat across from Necker Island(richard Branson's place)and dreamed we were billionaires! Then went over to "the
Sandbox"(accessible only by boat) and ate fresh grilled Anegada Lobsters and Painkillers! Definitely the Highlight of our entire trip!If you have any specific questions let me know. This forum helped me so much, I'd like to help anyone else who is having to make these hard decisions...
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 07:40 AM

You didn't mention when you're going, but I would also suggest Biras Creek. Also on Virgin Gorda. Very secluded, very small, and lots to do. It's all-inclusive, so the rates include all meals and snacks (but no drinks). However, it's closed for Sept. and Oct.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 05:18 AM

Mountaingirl: we'll be staying half at Little Dix, half at Mahoe Bay (early December). I'd be interested in maybe going to Biras Creek for a day, though I wonder if we'll be able to rent one of their little boats at that time of year (i.e. whether their own guests will be using all of them). We're less interested in sitting on beaches (esp without shade and comfortable chairs) than we are in snorkeling. Can you tell me, please, which snorkeling was the very best from beaches on VG-- either from Biras or from other places around the island. (I know that Biras doesn't really have a beach.) Does one need to make arrangements in advance to go over to Biras? Is there a fee for day use (other than the boat rental)? Thanks!
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 08:27 AM

poss:We didn't go to Biras Creek because we heard they didn't allow kids(we had 3 in tow).Don't know much about that resort...But Bitter End was fabulous! We didn't snorkel at the
resort because box jellyfish season
had just started and everyone was getting stung. But i happen to hear
a woman telling the boat rental place that they had gone around the corner
(on their boat) and found a beach without the jellyfish. That's how we ended up renting the boat to go check that beach out! It was fabulous, deserted and crystal clear water...saw lots of conchs! We had planned to spend 2 days at the Baths and Devils' Bay snorkeling, but after my teenager
got stung trying to crawl thru the caves at the bath and my husband snorkeled underwater for about 30 seconds and saw 8 jellyfish(and we heard about a guy being choppered out
because of massive stings), we decided we better try somewhere else! So unfortunately, we didn't get to spend much time snorkeling around VG except
on Prickly Pear Island(which was fabulous!)
At Bitter End, they have nice beaches
and Umbrella type Huts with chairs,
Hammocks between the Palms and a couple of Docks that extend out into the water with shade. Very Cool! I saw a woman out there, by herself reading
for hours, sipping rum drinks..Awesome!
There wasn't a fee for the boat ride over(which leaves from Gun Creek Road) and there wasn't a day use fee to go there. It was very casual and everyone was super nice!I heard Biras Creek was kind of snooty, I can get that back in the states, so we didn't even try to go there! If you want the low down on where to finded discarded conch shells nearby let me know. Also, The boats
leave the docks every hour on the half hour. Just show up.The building says it's a Visitor Center, but we never saw anyone there. I have pics of the beach if I can figure out how to get them to you???
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 09:03 AM

Don't have specifics about Little Dix, so this may just serve to confuse you, but we have been to The Bitter End Yacht Club 3 times and love it. It absolutly cannot be beat for the price. It's all inclusive, not only food but extracurricular as well, blue water snorkle excursions, any sailing vessel you could imagine, wind surfing ect. Vigin Gorda is great!!!! You have got to snorkle at the Caves, and Norman Island, we snorkled at Dog Islands this past July and thought it was great also. These are all offered as day excursions from the Bitter End. Thought it might be worth mentioning. Good luck...
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 09:39 AM

We took our honeymoon to Little Dix Bay this past June and I thought it was the perfect honeymoon spot. I was also concerned about the construction going on but to be honest it did not bother us. We did the meal plan and thought it was well worth it, you can have breafast delivered to your porch which is a rocks throw from the beach. They have a great spa, definelty take advantage of that. Its a very quiet low key resort so don't expect a lot of night life. You will not be disapointed if you select LDB. I like the idea of the surprise destination. Good luck!