Layover in Aruba

Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:02 PM
KVR
Original Poster

Layover in Aruba

I know there was a somewhat recent thread on this subject, but with the new format I could not find it.

We are going to Curacao in May and have a 3 hour layover going and a 5 1/2 hour layover coming back in Aruba. I don't think we will have enough time going, but coming back we should be able to leave the airport and go into town for a little while.

How much time should we allow ourselves in town? When we return back to the airport I know we have to go through security again, but what about customs? How long on the average will it take to actually get to our gate?
Feb 23rd, 2009, 03:34 PM

A lot depends on what day of the week you will be in Aruba and also what time of day. Weekends and particularly Saturdays are the busiest day at the Aruba airport. Aruba has a large amount of timeshares that check in and out on Saturday. On Saturday you will need to be at the airport approximately three hours before your flight. Unless it is a very early morning flight. (Example, 6:00 or 7:00 am flight). If you will be in Aruba during the week (Monday thru Friday), you might be able to get away with 2 hours. So the question is, what day will you be flying, what time of day and also what airlines. I will try to help you more once I know that info.
Feb 24th, 2009, 03:58 AM
KVR
Original Poster

Thank You. It will be on a Saturday. We arrive in Aruba at 10am and we leave at 4pm. We fly in from Curacao on Insel and we fly out of Aruba on Continental. If we do not have enough time to leave the airport is there anything to do while waiting?
Feb 24th, 2009, 04:46 AM

Kelly,
Eat crappy airport food and drink! Just kidding, my friend. I couldn't help but razz you. As you know, I have never been at that airport.

Brenda
Feb 24th, 2009, 06:39 AM
KVR
Original Poster

Brenda, actually that was what I was afraid of. We did that at the San Juan, PR airport coming back from St. Lucia for 4 hours and really just didn't want to do that again.

Even though we have been to Aruba once, I don't remember a thing about the airport. I'll send a e-mail to Nancy. She's been several times and going back the same time we'll be on our vacations in May.
Feb 24th, 2009, 11:28 AM

Since you are leaving Aruba on a Saturday, you will need to be at the airport at 1 pm. And let me tell you, it will be crowded. In November we left Aruba on a Saturday and eventhough we got to the airport three hours before departure it was close. At one point I didn't think we were going to make the flight because the lines were soooooooooooooo long. But you have another problem. You will be coming in on Insel. If they won't check your luggage through to your final destination, you will have to claim your luggage. So you will have your luggage. I doubt that the Continental counter will be open at that time of the morning so you won't be able to check in and get rid of your luggage. But if you can get free of your luggage, take a cab into town (10 - 15 min. ride) and walk around and have an early lunch. There might be some cruise ships in port. You could even take a cab to one of the major hotels (Divi Golf Resort, Westin, Radisson or Hyatt) and have lunch. If there is anything else I can help you with please do not hesitate to ask. There are some duty free shops at the airport and a few fast food restaurants.