Killer Bees at Sunshine's in Nevis

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mim, I asked you about this before your trip but I've forgotten to follow up with you. I know that the actual recipe is a well-guarded secret, but I thought perhaps you might have sampled a few on your recent visit and have some insight for my recipe preps.

I found the passionfruit juice and have been experimenting with various proportions of golden rum, passionfruit, orange & pineapple juices, but it's still not quite right. Though I don't remember there being any freshly ground nutmeg in my Killer Bee, when I add it at home the bouquet is much closer to the real thing. Sometimes I add a dash of bitters and/or grenadine.

Do you, or does anybody else, have any more tips? It may be a while before I get back to Nevis myself, so I must taste it viacariously! Maybe Marion can do some research for me if she's there next Feb.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 12:16 PM

ej - No luck with that sorry. Sunshine will not talk I did ask about it when I was there. People down there say that it is 151 rum. or higher proof than that! But I guess its just a certain combination of the juices and I think it does have some nutmeg, although it may not be visible.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

that was quick! no, i didn't think he'd give the recipe away but i thought you might be able to discern some flavors in there that my palate has forgotten in the several months since we've been there. part of me wonders if there's mango juice or puree, for example, as there's an underlying mellowness and mildness to the drink that reminds me of mango moreso than the actual taste. that underlying mildness is dangerous as they actually pack a punch!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 01:49 PM

Sunshine has some "moonshine" that I think is one of the ingrediants. He gave my husband a shot of it...I wouldn't dare...I had already been stung by the bees!

When I make the Bee at home, I use passionfruit juice, a squeeze of lime, rum and top it with bitters and freshly grated nutmeg. Tastes just like Sunshine's but without packing the punch!

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 02:10 PM

caribqueen - lol that is too funny! That's kind of what I meant about the 151 or more proof. I don't think anyone knows for sure exactly what it is... or what proof it is.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 02:37 PM

I have had that same stuff (the overproof, Hammond or hammer - depending on who you are drinking with) at the bar at Oualie and at local parties. It usually gets passed around among the lucky few the owner of the 'nip' feels are worthy.

Also, just as an fyi, and I know that not all of the Killer Bees come this way, but sometimes what is on top is not nutmeg.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Mercy me, Diana. To think that it's not all greated nutmeg!

Caribqueen, do you float the bitters on top or mix the drink? Key lime or persian lime?

I'll look for an overproof rum locally to try next time. Thanks again, folks!
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 07:43 AM

I just float the bitters on top and squeeze in half a key lime. I've always had fresh nutmeg grated onto mine at Sunshines. I know it's nutmeg because I watched them do it. However, it is not a surprise to me that sometimes "other" stuff is substituted for nutmeg!
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 08:56 AM

You guys are making me thirsty!!

You should visit my web site for St. Kitts and Nevis lovers http://www.islandimage.com

Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 02:27 PM

ej - let us know when you figure it out. Give sunshine a run for his money
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Well, I had to work over the weekend and couldn't put the new tips into practice. But we leave for Tortola on Friday, so maybe I can find a drink I like even better than the Killer Bee. I promise to be meticulous in my research!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 06:35 AM

ej - are you staying at Sugar Mill? It is wonderful if you have not been before. Hope you have a fabulous time!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 08:45 AM

ej, I had forgotten about that trip!

Have a great time! Be sure to have dinner/drinks at Skyworld and climb the stairs to the roof - one of the most amazing views in the Caribbean.

After a few cocktails, you must tour the North Shore Shell Museum - what a quintessential Caribbean/Tortola experience. The bottom part under the buidling is the best. We had lunch there - food was OK but the guy that runs the place? Priceless...

There's a little snackette along the road between Cane Garden and Bomba's - Shem's maybe? The man that has that place will whip you up lunch. We invited him to sit with us and we all had the best time! He and his son play a little combo up at a beach bar on CGB (Myatt's?) and we were his guests that night for their performance and had a great time.

Get to Smuggler's Cove early, and get a good spot and get one of the fruity drinks the lady makes with fresh fruit from her cooler.

Take the ferry to some of the other islands. There is a snackette at the ferry dock on Tortola (the small dock, not the larger one near Road Town) that is to DIE for. (Had my first whelk pattie - like conch - there in 2003 and a big plate of rice n peas and was in heaven!)

Go walking around some of the back streets in Road Town just off the main drag. Last time we were there, we found a store called Bolo's with all of the lastest and greatest music from Carnival on Trini, and stopped to listen to a man teaching a steel drum class to middle schoolers. Great!

Skip Bomba's unless you've never been and just want to check it out for yourselves. Since it is low season, you might have Bomba all to yourselves though - which is a trip in itself.

The first time we went to Tortola, I was 15 years younger and 10 pounds lighter and wore my waist-length (at the time) blonde hair braided in "Ten" fashion.

Bomba showed up at our hotel the next day and held court by the pool and asked my husband all about me. He was very polite, but a tad "over-interested."

We joked later that my husband could have ended up with part ownership in Bomba's if we had only played our cards right.

Willie T, Foxy's and Soggy Dollar are all a bit touristy now, but worth a trip.

Rent a dinghy and go motoring about.

Don't forget your drink research and have a great time!

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:21 AM

Diana - that is too much about Bomba, he loves women!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 04:24 PM

Yes, he certainly does!

During that same trip, we met a girl who was working there for him. It was a strange little story.

She had been a "Boat Bunny" who got into a tiff with the owner of the sailboat and had gotten deposited unceremoniously on Tortola.

She was "ahem" working for Bomba to get enough money to go back home to the States and "sign on" with another boat.

She said he is constantly on the lookout for new talent.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 05:52 PM

Diana - That is too funny! OMG. Nice. Well, I guess that is Bomba. WOW!