Reload this Page >

Just Back from the Sands

Search

Just Back from the Sands

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2002, 06:27 PM
Mariko

Just Back from the Sands

We were at the Sands the last week in April and wanted to post a trip report since we were so happy with our experiences there.<BR><BR>Sands: We found the staff to be very friendly and accomodating for the most part. We especially enjoyed the staff at Hemingways and the Tour Desk. <BR>The hotel grounds are beautiful and well kept. They have 3 pools that are interconnected, with small private areas to lounge and large umbrellas.<BR>The beach is the best part of staying in Prov. The stretch in front of the Sands is particularly nice and is very quiet. (especailly in comparison to Beaches hotel which has a very crowded beach, full of families).<BR>The restaurant is quite reasonable and we did not have a bad meal there. You can get the lunch menu until 6 and this saves money if you don't want to have a full course dinner.<BR>Restaurants: We also ate at Anacaona,Coyaba and the Barefoot Cafe. All good meals. Anacoana being by far the best and the most expensive! Very good wine list and contrary to some reports, we had very good service. It was a slow evening though, when we were there.<BR>Coyaba had better service, more friendly and great presentation!<BR>Barefoot Cafe had reasonable lunch and breakfast prices, large portions and good food (did not see the dinner menu).<BR>Tours: We did 2 with Turkoise which was actually J&B, it seems that they are one in the same. We did the Middle Caicos day trip to the Caves. It was a pretty good trip for getting to see the most of Turks and Caicos. You get to see North Caicos, Middle Caicos, Parrot Cay, Shell Island and Iguana Island. The cave part is only 1/2 hour but it is pretty cool and the beach that they take you to after for lunch is one of the most spectacular beaches that you will see on the islands.<BR>The other tour we did was the Island Getaway. Basically, they drop you off on one of the uninhabited smaller cays for the day with chairs and a cooler of food/wine. We thought it was amazing and worth the money. It is a very romantic way to spend the day!<BR>We also did a taxi tour of the island to see Chalk sound and some of the other views on Provo. It cost us $55 for 2 hours but we felt that it was worth it to see the impossible blue water of Chalk Sound.<BR>Also, did some snorkling at the reef at Coral Gardens. It was pretty good but we did find the water to be rough a lot of days due to the constant trade winds.<BR>We did find that taxis in general were expensive on the island. Food is also expensive in general and souvenirs were more than other islands. For better prices on souvenirs, go to the small shop on the same road as the Ports of Call. It is only a few minutes walk from the Sands.<BR>Overall it was a great trip. The locals were very friendly and we wouldn't hesitate to go back. <BR>I'd be happy to answer any questions about the Sands or Provo.

Old May 6th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Kelly

Mariko,<BR><BR>My fiance and I will be honeymooning at The Sands in June. We have a Oceanfront Studio. Which type of room did you stay in? What was it like?<BR><BR>Kelly

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Beth

Thank you for posting this...we are leaving on Wed...can't wait!!! Of the 3 trips, which one was your favorite. We are only there for 4 nights and will probably only go on one. Did you find the need to rent a car? If so, where did you get it from? Thanks again...Beth

Old May 6th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Mariko

Kelly<BR><BR>We had an oceanview studio. I'm not sure if this is the same as ocean front. The buildings are on a diagonal so that you can see the ocean from the two buildings closest to the ocean. We had a room on the bottom floor which was not actually my first choice but we ended up liking it. All rooms have their own screened in porch or balcony. Ours had 2 beach type chairs and a small table with two other chairs. We sat out their for breakfast and in the evening. <BR>The studios have a very small kitchenette. You have a bar fridge, a microwave, a sink and a coffee maker. We bought groceries for breakfast at the IGA (very expensive) and ate all other meals out. The kitchenette is in the same room as the sitting area. You have a TV and a couch plus a small table and chairs for eating. There is also a murphy bed so you could even have 4 people staying in the studio.<BR>The bedroom was large enough but we thought it was weird that it was the first room that you walk into when you come in. The bathroom was also a good size with a tube and extra closet for towels and stuff. <BR>I thought the accomodations were quite comfortable but this was the first time that I'd stayed in a condominium type hotel.<BR>Enjoy you're stay! The atmosphere is very casual but nice.

Old May 6th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Mariko

Don't mind my typos! <BR>The bathroom had a bathtub not a tube : )