Just back from Ritz

Aug 5th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Dave

Just back from Ritz

My wife and I are just back from 5 nights at the Ritz. We had a great time, and I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Before you ask, we had an ocean view room overlooking the pool, I played golf at White Witch, my wife used the spa several times, and we ate at all the restaurants. Also, we were on the AI plan, which is a must.

Oh, and ask me about the chilled, rum and lime soaked washcloths at the pool......ahhhhh

Aug 5th, 2002, 09:57 PM
Betsy

Dave, Glad you had a good time. I will be spending just 1 1/2 days there on our way back to the States after honeymooning in Grenada for two weeks.
What floor were you on, and could you see the ocean from your room? Also, we are on the AI, were you able to order any type of drink that you wanted? Did they say anything about a 10.00 surcharge for ordering lobster? I have read this many times, although every one wrote that the extra charge never appeared on their bill. Did you try room service?
We made dinner reserv. at White Witch for 8:00 pm, good idea? Any food recommendations? Also, where did you eat breakfast? We enjoy eggs/omelettes, lots of fresh fruit etc, buffet style I guess. What was the room like? Was it a suite? When you departed from the Mobay airport, how far in advance did they suggest you go? Was the security/customs check line very long? Did you fly on Air Jamaica?
Do they have drink service on the beach as well? WHAT ABOUT the WASH CLOTHs? Do they bring them to you if you are on the chaises by the ocean? Sorry for the plethura of questions. Your comments, good/bad, advice and suggestions are much welcomed. Thank you. We can't wait to go. Looking forward to a very memorable honeymoon. Betsy.

Aug 6th, 2002, 04:04 AM
Dave

wow...let me try to answer your questions.....

We were on the 5th floor in the west wing...I had read here to request that, and I was happy we did. the ocean and pool view were excellent.

The AI plan was excellent. The only exceptions for drinks were champagne and bottles of wine. For premium liquors, they give a list of what is included, which was more than sufficient. We drank quite a bit, and received no bills.

We did not have the lobster, so I don't know about the surcharge. After seeing how their 'system' works, I would doubt they would be able to charge for it.

Room service was excellent, timely, and included. In fact, our first night we arrived, we had a light dinner in the Horizons restaurant, then ordered coffee and dessert in the room. All included.

At 8pm you will miss the sunset at White Witch, and miss the view. Jamaica is on Eastern time, but does not do daylight savings, so they are basically on Central time. So, it gets dark by 7:30ish. To really enjoy it at White Witch, make a 7pm reservation and go up a little early to take in the view.

Breakfast is buffet or ala carte in the Horizons restaurant. It was great.

The room was not a suite. It was typical Ritz Carlton - not too big, but very very comfortable. Great bathroom with lots of marble and dual vanities. Excellent bed and linens. More tropical colors than other Ritz Carltons, which was nice.

We had a 6:48am flight and left the hotel at 5am. The check in line at American was very long, but we used the first class line. There were then two separate security lines that were not long.

Yes to the drink service on the beach. You have a little flag on your chair that your raise and they come over. And the wash clothes are just too much. Just when you are getting overheated, they come by with a tray of icy wet washclothes, with just a hint of rum and lime on them, which just feel awesome on the back of your neck. It was delightful.

Enjoy yourself.....even for a short visit, you will have fun.

Let me know if I've missed something.

Aug 6th, 2002, 06:22 AM
Paul

Betsy;
I think I've offered you some insight on The Ritz/Mobay and Air Jamaica not to long ago. Now that I too am back home (was there last week) I have a bit more.

First, all that you've heard about the Ritz is correct. It's wondeful!. Just try not to be to impatient with some of the service and you'll do terrific.

Be sure to get to the White Witch restaurant before it's dark as it is a beautiful view. Sadly however there is no lounge to speak of, just the dining area. Thus if you ask the host for a glass of wine you can then walk the property a bit before dinner if you like.

Now.....Air Jamaica. I've been nothing but a supporter of this airline thus far so I feel it is important to share my mishap with them as well.

On the way down from Chicago, our flight turned out to be delayed by 2hrs due to a late return the night before.
To their credit, they did call my office at llpm and they relayed the message to me. Thus we did get 2 more hours of sleep rather than wasting it at the airport. (but I'd rather been in Jamaica)

However on the way home we had a 5:30 flight out of Chicago.....I had checked with AJ at about 12:30 pm just to make sure everything was on schedule. They informed me that at that point the flight had been delayed 4 hrs. This meant a 9:30 dpt, then a 4 hr flight and a 2 hr drive home for me. Getting me home at 4 am EDT. Not good! I then immediatly phoned my travle agent who told me there was a 2pm US Air Flight that she could snag 3 seats on if we wanted to try to get to the airport.
This meant we had 1 hr and 10 min before that flight left. As we were all packed(they want you out by noon with no exceptions at the Ritz) and did nothing but carry-on......we headed for the airport. We had 1st class seats on AJ which help in that we got quick attention from the staff. Still it took almost 45 min to get through the "red tape" of switching to another airline. I must stay that the AJ staff was wondeful once they understood that I would accept nothing less than being in first class seats of that 2 pm flight. True we had to connect in Charlotte.....but it really was not a problem......bottom line is we were home by 11pm rather than 4 am.

In short......the AJ 1st Class flight was great....the ground staff was great. But the dependability of flights leaving on time was very poor!. BE PREPARED TO PUNT AND TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. I still find it hard to believe that we made it from the Ritz to an airplane seat in 1hr and 10 min.
Sooooooooo........It can be done my friends! (yet another reason to only do carry-ons) Have fun!!

Aug 6th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Paul

Betsy;
I think I've offered you some insight on The Ritz/Mobay and Air Jamaica not to long ago. Now that I too am back home (was there last week) I have a bit more.

First, all that you've heard about the Ritz is correct. It's wondeful!. Just try not to be to impatient with some of the service and you'll do terrific.

Be sure to get to the White Witch restaurant before it's dark as it is a beautiful view. Sadly however there is no lounge to speak of, just the dining area. Thus if you ask the host for a glass of wine you can then walk the property a bit before dinner if you like.

Now.....Air Jamaica. I've been nothing but a supporter of this airline thus far so I feel it is important to share my mishap with them as well.

On the way down from Chicago, our flight turned out to be delayed by 2hrs due to a late return the night before.
To their credit, they did call my office at llpm and they relayed the message to me. Thus we did get 2 more hours of sleep rather than wasting it at the airport. (but I'd rather been in Jamaica)

However on the way home we had a 5:30 flight out of Chicago.....I had checked with AJ at about 12:30 pm just to make sure everything was on schedule. They informed me that at that point the flight had been delayed 4 hrs. This meant a 9:30 dpt, then a 4 hr flight and a 2 hr drive home for me. Getting me home at 4 am EDT. Not good! I then immediatly phoned my travle agent who told me there was a 2pm US Air Flight that she could snag 3 seats on if we wanted to try to get to the airport.
This meant we had 1 hr and 10 min before that flight left. As we were all packed(they want you out by noon with no exceptions at the Ritz) and did nothing but carry-on......we headed for the airport. We had 1st class seats on AJ which help in that we got quick attention from the staff. Still it took almost 45 min to get through the "red tape" of switching to another airline. I must stay that the AJ staff was wondeful once they understood that I would accept nothing less than being in first class seats of that 2 pm flight. True we had to connect in Charlotte.....but it really was not a problem......bottom line is we were home by 11pm rather than 4 am.

In short......the AJ 1st Class flight was great....the ground staff was great. But the dependability of flights leaving on time was very poor!. BE PREPARED TO PUNT AND TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. I still find it hard to believe that we made it from the Ritz to an airplane seat in 1hr and 10 min.
Sooooooooo........It can be done my friends! (yet another reason to only do carry-ons) Have fun!!

Aug 6th, 2002, 09:26 AM
jam-man

Oh-Oh
Looks like somebody's got a stuck key on their computer.

Aug 6th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Betsy

Msg to Dave and Paul:

I can't thank you both enough for all of the extremely detailed and most helpful information. It is nice to know that there are people willing to take their time to BE helpful and be thorough with trip details. It is so beneficial to me.(Unfortunately, I can't say the same about jam man's silly comment - but then again, I'm guilty of wasting space here on HIS mundane and worthless sentence((sorry Jam man, at least Paul wanted to be sure his reply made it to the board))
Anyway, I think I will move up our dinner reservation. And Paul, I'm sorry to hear about the delay problems, I'm praying that we luck out. For us, we depart Jamaica at 5:30 pm, on Air Jam, first class, flying non stop to Los Angeles. The plane lands at 9:20pm and there are NO flights out to Las Vegas that night, and we don't want to have to stay over in LAX, so we are planning a 5, I repeat ,FIVE hour drive home. I trust I will be comfortable enough and maybe catch some sleep on the way home.
From what you said, It sounds like we can forget about a late check out at the Ritz. Would you happen to know if they have day rooms available? Again, my sincere thanks to both of you. My fiance and I are about as psyched as we can get for this trip!!!! Bets

Aug 6th, 2002, 07:19 PM
curious

Does the Ritz let you stay on the property and still eat(all-inlcusive) w/out being charged after check out? Our flight does not leave until 6pm. What are we going to do for all those extra hours?

Aug 6th, 2002, 07:24 PM
dave

curious....

that's a good one. Maybe it depends on what time you arrive. i.e. if you get in in the afternoon or evening, and thus don't "use" all the meal plan for that day, you can make up for it with lunch and drinks on the day you check out. Call ahead and ask.

Otherwise, have an early lunch before checkout, then pay cash for drinks at the pool while you wait to leave.

Actually, if you signed for drinks at the pool after you checked out, I doubt they would ever make it to your bill.

Aug 6th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Amy

Thanks for all of the scoop on the Ritz.

What is the dress like (are people really dressed up)?

Aug 7th, 2002, 03:25 AM
Paul

Besty;

When we were there, the resort was packed! I mean it looked like high season to me. Guess that's what happens when you advertise rooms with meals for as little ats $300.00. Anyway......if I were you and there were no other flights out on my particular day other than AJ, I would highly consider trying to get a backup rooms reservations for the night. Call RC and see if they are booked or close to it. If not then you're probabaly ok. But if they are approaching full.....I personally would pay for the extra night just for peace of mind. At least that way they can't ask you to leave at noon. Yes......you can continue to charge to your room all afternoon if you like on the day of your departure. (they'll get it on your bill if they want to.

As for dress.......I was a bit surprised at the casualness of dress actually. I was opting for long pants and trousers with a sportshirt for the dining at night. However I say many men in khaki shorts and polos as well. Maybe thats what happens in the summer I dont know. I'm just more comfortable dressing a bit nicer for dinner.

Hope this help......I apologize for "triple posting" earlier.....not exactly sure how it happended.

Best of luck!!

Aug 28th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Patty

Betsy,
I would be interested to hear if they were able to accomodate you with a late check-out and if not, what facilities were available for late departing guests. We are taking the evening (6:50pm) AJ flight back to LAX in December. Also does anyone know if Air Jamaica has check-in facilties at the Ritz? I've heard that they have check-in desks at some of the resort properties. Thanks.