Air Jamaica - Recent Experiences?

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Jamaica - Recent Experiences?

Has anyone flown Air Jamaica recently? What were your experiences, e.g. on-time departure,
service, cleanliness of plane, etc. Will be traveling very soon on round-trip flights from JKF-Grenada. Last posts are 7 months old. Also, how
early did you check in at JFK. My departure is at
7 a.m. Airline says to be there 2 hours early (that
would mean 5 a.m.). Will only have carry-on. Is
one hour sufficient? Comments, please!
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Come on folks! I really need your input!
Hasn't anyone flown this route recently?
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 05:27 AM

Boonie...My most "recent" experience with AirJamaica is 18months...But what I would suggest..if they tell you to be there 2 hours ahead, then BE there.Suck it up!I met a guy who was headed from Dallas to Canada,via Denver on United.His TA advised him to be there 2 hours ahead--"international" departure.The guy decided he would wing and get there an hour early...the refused to check him in even tho the flight was still on the ground and had lots of seats."Rules are rules" was their reply.......It might be inconvenient, but do it anyway.MHO!
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 06:08 AM

Boonie, I agree, if you try to cut corners with time, that's when something silly happens like a long line you didn't expect, traffic delay, etc. Give your self plenty of time to get in there. I also have not flown on a JM plane in a while, but they are in my opinion the prettiest planes from the outside, and the service was always excellent. The attandants are in smart purple suites, and we had complimentary Red Stripe, champagne, real silverware, hot Jamaican food and a screen to track the flight. They were always a pain behind the scenes, to book, work with etc. but once you are on board, I enjoyed it very much. I hope it works well for you !
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 08:43 AM

The last time I flew Air Jamaica was just over a year ago from LAX to MBJ and back. We encountered delays of 1-2 hours on both legs. The flight to MBJ was awful as the A/C wasn't functioning properly. The flight back was fine with the exception of the delay. We were actually lucky as it seemed like every US bound flight out of MBJ that afternoon was delayed, some by 6 hours or more. Those passengers were taken to nearby hotels to wait. While waiting at the airport, we talked to another passenger who flew JM frequently and got the impression that delays were common place. We're flying JM again in May and hoping for a better experience.