Jumby Bay or Blue Waters Resort

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are from the USA and are planning our 20th wedding anniversary in June of 2004. We have chosen the island of Antigua and now are stuck on finding a first class resort to stay at. We have narrowed it down to Jumby Bay or Blue Waters Resort. Does anyone have any suggestions and or information they could share with us regarding either resort?? There are a few amenities we would like available such as a all inclusive, nice detached single cottage type of room (not a hotel or motel setting), great beaches, great food, off shore day excursions, etc?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 08:11 AM

Blue Waters is a very nice resort, but it's not in the same class as Jumby. The only other place on Antigua that would come close to Jumby is Curtain Bluff. As I've only visited Blue Waters but not the other two, I can't really comment sufficiently on them.

That's not to say that I don't think you would enjoy Blue Waters--there's a villa there surrounded by water on three sides that would be very romantic for an anniversary trip--but it's just not in the same class as the other two.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 11:42 AM

we were at jumby before it was taken over by rosewood so i can't comment on the new management but i can tell you that it was one of the nicest stays we've had anywhere and i'm pretty spoiled. we stayed in one of the "octagon" rooms when we first arrived, which was nice, but upgraded to a suite at the far north end of the resort (before the villas). the island is small and very quiet. foods' very good. staff is excellent-will probably remember your name and cocktail preference by second day. downside: could seem stuffy - manager's cocktail party scared up a few characters with very starched collars. the villa owners sponsor a sanctuary for the hawksbills to lay their eggs and it's an incredible experience to watch if you're lucky enough to be there when they're nesting. hotel takes you on a little snorkel trip to a nearby island. vis is not great there so don't go for the diving. there's a boat to main island that leaves periodically for shopping in st. james and such. the hotel was expensive but worth every dime.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 05:07 PM

Look into Curtain Bluff. It is truly beautiful and the service is excellent.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 05:21 PM

Curtain Bluff does not have the individual rooms/villas you asked about. The standard rooms at Curtain Bluff are not any nicer than a good Holiday Inn in the USA, and not worth the price ($850/nt in high season).
The Suites are much nicer, but in high season you're in the well over$1000/nt range.
Jumby Bay's rates are similar (when you compare same type rooms) but Jumby Bay offers better room quality and rooms set apart in doublets.
Curtain Bluff offers more in the way of activities.