Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Where to go for Shallow Water & Little/No Seaweed

Jul 16th, 2003, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

After considering several options (beach, cruise, Disney) for a fall vacation, I'm back to square one--the Caribbean.

A beach with water shallow (chest- or chin-deep) for quite a distance out would be nice. Would like to know where others have been where there isn't massive amounts of seaweed.

I've been to beaches in Nassau, Ocho Rios, and Negril. Nassau and Ocho Rios both had alot of seaweed. I don't remember much about Negril because Hurricane Michelle hit while we were there & I didn't get much beach/ocean time.

Would consider Negril again. How is the beach & water at Sandals?

Any other suggestions? Can't afford St. Barts type prices. Thanks.
Jul 16th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Also considering El Dorado Royale or Xpu-Ha Palace in Mexico or Sandals Royal Caribbean in Montego Bay. How's the water at any of these resorts? Thanks.
Jul 16th, 2003, 09:36 AM

The beach at Negril is a very very good bet. The water is clear, calm and shallow along most of it. I can't vouch for the Sandals beachfront, never stayed there. I have always stayed at Charela Inn.
Jul 16th, 2003, 10:06 AM

Belize has what you are looking for. The "flats" are just that, clear, clean beautiful warm water. The inland waters are calm and clear because they are protected by the huge reef (2nd largest to the great barrier reef). Go outside the reef and it is a very different story! The snorkeling is the best, you do not have to be a diver to appreciate Belize. Even in a few feet of water, the sea life is amazing. It is also affordable and very unspoiled. The Ambergris Cay area is espically nice, close to town San Pedro. It is a very relaxed vacation with unbelieveable beauty. One day we had a guide take us out to fish. He took us in his boat past the reefs where the water is rough and where the big fish are. Whatever we all caught was our lunch! After fishing he took us to an uninhabited little island, started a fire and cooked us lunch from the fish we just caught. He brought along rum punch, beer and veggies. Then we just hung out went swimming lazed in the sun - it was great! There are not many unspoiled places left in the caribbean, Belize is one of them.
Jul 16th, 2003, 11:09 AM

Negril beach would be great. The widest beach is in front of the big AI's like Swept Away but the beach is also great in front of Charela, Coco Lapalm and Idle Awhile. I have been several times and have never had problems with seaweed, although there was a problem closer into town when I was there in April.
Jul 17th, 2003, 03:36 PM

Please consider Grand Cayman Island. You walk a far distance off the beach and still see your feet. It is a beautiful, friendly island. Have stayed at Plantana condos twice. Snorkeling, scuba diving, relaxing, and of course some shopping. Plantana.com or caymanislands.ky
Jul 21st, 2003, 06:26 PM

I've only seen seaweed in Negril right after a storm.

Negril's beach is like that, Bloody Bay (one bay up from Negril) is even more clear, shallow and calm. There are a few hotels on it now, the Riu and I believe Grand Lido and another Riu going up.