Jumby Bay Advice Before Booking??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been lurking on this site as all the info and advice has been a great help in deciding on a honeymoon...thanks!! We are 99% decided to book Jumby Bay for a week at the end of Oct. beginning of Nov. and wanted to ask for any last words of wisdom/ advice.

- Weather: always an unknown - but feel this area will not be the biggest risk at this time of year...am I making a mistake?
-What are everyone's best sources for travel insurance? Any $ saving hints for booking Antigua flights?
- Have heard some say that the pond bay rooms are nicer than the rondavels? Anyone have first-hand experience with this? Do they ever do upgrades?
-Also, I know that bathrooms are luxurious in the suites...how about in the pond bay or rondavels? (tubs you would soak in??)
-Room service along with the offered picnic service etc?
-I see beach loungers in the pics...do they have beach towels? Beach drink service?
- I would think we might want to take one night for nightlife...can you catch the ferry to Antigua easily for this?
Otherwise we are 29 and 31 and want once-in-a-lifetime luxury and relaxation with a drink in hand by the beach or pool with some activity if we choose (walks-hiking, kayak, swimming)enjoyable food in pretty setting....are we getting it right with Jumby??
Thanks in advance for any info on the above subjects!! Jen
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 03:50 PM

Jumby is so relaxing, very low key! A wonderful spot! The Rondavels are the older rooms, IMHO the Pond House is much nicer, directly on the beach! There is a little beach bar, for beach service, beach towels in the room, and at the beach bar. Beach service is all day, water, sorbet, drinks etc. There is a mini bar in the room well stocked.
Lots of water sports, sunset cruise,
and daytrips. The private ferry goes every half hour or so up until midnight.
You have selected a very elegant spot! Relax and enjoy!
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 03:46 AM

the best way to get the best price is thru a travel wholesaler. Included in the price is excellent insurance "peace of mind" in which you can cancel for any reason. Wholesalers also offer the best price on airlines and resorts. You must call a travel agent to book thru a wholesaler, but it is well worth the savings. Price the trip out yourself for your own best price, then call a travel agent and ask him/her to price Jumby Bay with air thru these 2 wholesalers: Island Destinations and Classic Custom Vacations. I know Island destinations is having a special right now on Jumby bay, 100.00 off courtyard suites and 1 night free. Classic also runs the same kind of specials, but hey its worth a phone call for comparison. Since the wholesalers but in bulk, you will find that many times you can fly first/business for the price of coach. I have used both in the past and also have had to canced some trips and I have gotten a full refund, and my trips were paid in full! Good luck on getting the best price, hope this helps you!
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the great input and advice!! We booked jumby bay for 8 nights at a fabulous rate through island destinations. Sandy feet your info made all the difference, we are excited to go to Jumby Bay AND we don't feel like we broke the bank...Thank You !!!!
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 07:15 AM

I'm attaching a long summary of our current experience at JB in another separately titled message.
To answer your questions:

-weather is always an unknown. Mid-Aug to mid-Oct is the highest risk period.
-Pond Bay House is mostly new or completely refurbished. Contrary to an above note, there are NO rooms 'right on the beach' at JB (unless you rent a private villa). Whether you'd enjoy a rondavel or PBH room more is a matter of personal taste. You won't find much of a consensus on this point. The rondavels are older, more traditional and interesting because they're round rooms. The PB rooms are newer but are also less private because they're clustered together in a 2 story building like a hotel, while the other rooms at JB are in scattered 2 unit duplexes for the most part.
-If you want a tub, though, that's an easy one because NONE of the rooms at JB have tubs except the Courtyard Suites (the tubs are outdoors, and there are 2 showers, one inside, one outside).
-Upgrades can be had but you'll need some type of angle IMO; AmEx Platinum provides an automatic upgrade, Leaders Club membership (Leading Hotels of the World), some travel agents may be able to swing one, special occasion perhaps.
But be aware that you don't ever go to a "front desk" at JB to check in. Your room is assigned befre you arrive. You are taken from the boat dock straight to your room by the valet via golf cart.
-picnics are arranged free of charge (well, $5 delivery fee) along with gratis transportation if you want to be deposited on some beach or small island away from the resort. Just ask and someone will arrange whatever you want done. People at JB never seem to flinch at requests. It's almost as if they don't have enough to do so they're happy to help.
-JB has a boat launch to Antigua (takes about 10 minutes to cross) which will take you any time you wish. It leaves every hour or so otherwise.
-Towels are provided and are on the beach lounges when you arrive. No crowding. Plenty of palapas (huts).
-Beach drinks are all provided and there are three separate bars available.
Hope you have a great time.
We're enjoying our stay immensely.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 02:33 PM

I just booked an "Escape to Luxury Package" for the end of July at a very nice rate on the Rosewood site (or so I thought) for a Courtyard Suite. Any more details on what these are all about. We are going for six nights and are used to Hawaii but want to try something different. We are also very picky with the quality of the rooms, linens, etc. Also, can you describe the types of food presentations they are serving as well?

What is the situation with the tipping? There is a 10% service fee which I assume has nothing to do with tipping? Any advice?

Any other details you can think of would be great.

Thanks,
JMRJR2
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 04:51 AM

You are so very welcome Enjoy your trip - btb102503!