Jumby Bay

Apr 6th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Jumby Bay

If anyone has stayed at Jumby Bay since it reopened under Rosewood management, I would appreciate your comments. Also, I would like to have your thoughts on Antigua diving and snorkeling.

Thanks for your time and help.
Apr 6th, 2003, 11:14 AM

Hi Diane, I have been at Jumby a few times, most recently this past Febuary.
The hotel is very small, much nicer than
Caneel. More like a private country club! We gave up our Jan. Caneel visits as its just not as intimate for lunch or dinner, nor the personal service, attention you receive at Jumby. I do love Caneel, and will go back but Jumby wins! It does not have the snorkeling from the beach like Caneel. Only tons of starfish! Not into diving-or boat snorkeling so I cannot help you out here. Jumby is all inclusive, first class all the way. You do not have to sign for a thing, never carry any money on us- the prices have gone way up, and yes it is truly a 5 star resort. Please feel free to ask me any other questions!
Apr 6th, 2003, 04:09 PM

Hi Penny - Which rooms have the best ocean view and or are closest to the best beach. How would you compare it to Cap?
Apr 6th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Penny for your reply. I plan to travel from Caneel to a second island. Originally, I was thinking of going to Cap Juluca, which everyone raves about, but the Jumby Bay website looks great, and I like the idea of being on a 300 acre private island. Are the rooms relatively close to the beach?

Thanks again for your help.

Diane
Apr 7th, 2003, 04:06 AM

Hi! I guess there are 2 Dianes!!Anyhow when you look at their website you will see a building at the top with a red roof, that is the Pond House. Its right on the beach, great views, 2 storys. Our favorite room, along the beach, but set back farther, is now called the courtyard suite. Its set back about 100 feet, 2 rooms per building, lots of louvered doors, overlooks the beach lined with palm trees and the lights of Antigua. Rosewood and the home owners have made these the prime rooms-they now have huge rain shower heads, 2 showers, one outside in a walled garden area. Yes, the rooms are relatively close to the beach. Jumby has the wonderful Estate House-sort of like the south meets Cassablana! The upstairs bar area is wonderful, some evenings there is a piano player who sounds just like Nat
King Cole. This hotel is my favorite to walk down to breakfast, the setting and service is perfect. Each and every staff member will know your name, and
your preferences! There are lots of walking paths, so you can walk, run or use the bikes provided. A herd of sheep roam the island, I love to hear the Baaaaah! No donkeys! I had the pleasure of meeting the hotels Horticulturist, who wants to have orchids climbing the trees. Lots of orchids in huge pots at all the dining
areas, and in each room! It truly is a relaxing island!
Apr 7th, 2003, 04:17 AM

PS-How would I compare it to Cap. It is very different, probably closer to Caneel, but on a much smaller, more personal level. Cap Juluca is very unique-a larger hotel, with Anguilla and its fun dining being a huge asset.
Jumby is very very quiet, a sedate English crowd for the most part. As I mentioned it is all inclusive, so you
will be dining at the hotel. Last spring we went to a few restaurants on
Antigua, Cocconuts, Le Bistro. The island does not have the selection like Anguilla. Also at Jumbys current rates we did not leave the island in Feburary. The food is very very good, not boring, a nice selection. They have 2 excellent barbeques-outstanding.
I can only add that Cap Juluca should be experienced!
Apr 7th, 2003, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Penny. Both places sound wonderful, but after what you said, I am leaning towards Jumby Bay this trip, but will do the other another time. A lot depends on the times of the flights between St. Thomas and the other island. I hate wasting a day by spending it in the San Juan airport.

Since I love island walks, along with water activities, Jumby sounds like my kind of place. Either way, I feel I can't go wrong.

Thanks again.

Diane
Apr 7th, 2003, 09:16 AM

Diane,
You can fly directly from St. Thomas to Anguilla without stopping in San Juan on Liat, if they are still flying. The flights between St. Thomas and Antigua take a bit over 2 hours and there is one at 9 and one around 5, I believe.
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Message Karibislander: Thanks for the info.

I heard that Liats weight limit is 44 lbs. Do you know if that is true? Since my trip is for 2 weeks, and since I have trouble packing light, I am sure my luggage will be more than that.

Thanks again.

Diane

Apr 7th, 2003, 03:45 PM

40 lbs. and they do charge for the overage but don't know the rate. Besides the smaller planes you don't want yours left behind because the plane is overweight! I have shipped rather than take as luggage and shipped the dirty stuff home as I moved on. Just a suggestion.
Apr 7th, 2003, 05:04 PM

Ok as the carry on queen of light packing I would love to learn more about shipping ahead. Would DHL be the one to contact. I know they ship from Anguilla. I would love to lighten my load! Who do you use for Antigua? Great idea!