Jamaica weather...

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 07:43 AM
anony

Jamaica weather...

I have read some posts and am not getting what I need, if someone could assist, I would appreciate it.
Trip planned for Negril last week of December thru first week of January. I have heard the weather is pretty consistent year around, but if anyone knows.....
1) is it humid or dry that time of year, and average temp???
2) do they have mosquitos or any flying, biting type bugs that time of year that I should be aware of????

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Christina

Temperature is between 85 and 90 and sunny- enjoy!!!

I have been to Jamaica 3 times and have never had a problem with bugs.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 07:56 AM
anony

Thanks Christina, I appreciate your response, (Good news about our lack of flying friends, I get bit by everything here, especially at night!)
Do you happen to know if it a dry or humid heat that time of year???

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Christina

I don't remember exactly about humidity, but I can say, I don't remember it being "unbearably" humid- just hot. Enjoy it!

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Lisa

Hi Anony, I too ALWAYS get bitten - even if everyone around doesn't! Bugs shouldn't be too much of a problem but try taking vitamin B1 for a week before you go, it does help keep the bugs from biting. OFF works great, too.

Have a great time!

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 08:14 AM
xxx

Our experience with the weather was the same as others have already mentioned. However, I did get bitten by "noseeums" (for lack of a better term). I was never aware of being bitten but by the end of the week, my lower legs had many bites. Hubby, had none.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 08:18 AM
anony

Thank you all for the advice - especially the B1, I live in an area that has mosquitos o' plenty, and will give it a try. Unfortunately they love me.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 08:21 AM
tivertonhouse

Bring Deep Woods Off or another Deet-based prep for noseeums and skeeters.You'll be in Negril during
'Christmas breezes' season -- which can bring a likkle more wind and cooler temps,an infrequent shower or two, from the cold fronts coming down from the US;it's not humid, but temps will be about low to mid 80s days and low to high 70s nights so bring a wrap or jacket or shawl since your skin will be sensitized from the sun to night breezes.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 09:20 AM
JAGIRL

Hey Anony,
Western Jamaica tends to get cool in December-January and it also gets rainy for the most time. It is after all the "winter" season. It doesn't get freezing cold or anything...just coolER than normal...there may actually be days when the beach mightnot be such a good idea so plan on alternatives to the beach...just in case.
As for the mosquitoes. TAKE BUG REPELLANT WITH YOU whenever you're not sure. It's better to be safe than sorry. Especially a visit during or after a rainy season anywhere.
Hope you have fun!