Search

Jamaica

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 02:39 PM
susan

Jamaica

My sister and her friend W/ a couple children are going in a three weeks and we are wondering what situations to avoid so they don't put themselves in danger. I have traveled alot but not to Jamaica and have always said just use common sense but that's not always the answer. thank you

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 02:54 PM
traveler

Jamaica is not a dangerous destination. Why are people always saying that? I know, I heard from a friend who's brother's friend was there etc. <BR>The people are warm and kind for the most part, as in any place in the world, be aware of your suroundings and pay attention to what is going on around you. Don't go off alone with someone you don't know, which when you are on a trip means just about everyone.<BR>You wouldn't do it at home, don't do it in Jamaica. Take the tours offered by the hotel, go out and have fun. And above all relax and enjoy that beautiful island!

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 03:17 PM
xxx

We have been to Jamaica numerous times and while it is our favoite island, there is a fair share of crime and the people, while we find them to be very fiendly and wonderful to speak with, can be rather pushy and this seems to be what people associate with Jamaica.<BR><BR>You really do need street common sense as you would when traveling to any unknown city. If the vendors are too pushy, a polite NO works. I would book all tours, as mentioned, through the resort. <BR><BR>It is a great island - have a fun time! <BR><BR>

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 05:03 PM
d motl

Where are you going? Lots of places are as safe as the USA--Negril etc.<BR>There are parts of Kingston you would want to avoid.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 05:28 PM
susan

thank you for the replys-they wanted to stay in mo-bay 2 nights because that is where they fly into-however they have never been there and don't have a clue about it. Iam going out tommarrow to buy them a guide book. I think experience speaks for itself so give it to us. They are on a limited budget and would really like to go about without reservations. also they would like to rent a car but i have heard that can be a challenge in itself. they are taking 2 children as i said so what ever would make them comfortable would be nice to know. thank you for your information

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 03:55 PM
d motl

Do not try to drive!!!<BR>They drive on the left and have some yield rules that they uhderstand but we sure don't.<BR>If you request we will e-mail you our 6 page 1st timers brouchure for the Mo-bay Negril area. Dan and Ginny

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 10:04 AM
laurie

DAN & GINNY, CURIOUS ABOUT YOUR RESPONSE TO SUSAN. I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN YOUR FIRST-TIMER INFO TO NEGRIL/MO-BAY. WE ARE GOING TO OCHO RIO, BUT HAVE HEARD LOTS OF NEGATIVE INFO. HAVE YOU BEEN THERE? ANY SUGGESTIONS?? WE ARE STAYING AT CRANE RIDGE (COMFORT SUITES). HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT TAKING A BUS TO NEGRIL FOR A FEW DAYS & VISITING BLUE CAVE CASTLE, THEN OFF TO MO-BAY FOR OUR LAST FEW DAYS. HOW EASY WOULD IT BE TO DO THIS? ALSO, FORGIVE MY IGNORANCE--WE HAVE NEVER STAYED AT AN ALL INCLUSIVE. IS IT POSSIBLE TO GO TO THEIR DINING AND BAR ESTABLISHMENTS AS AN OUTSIDE CUSTOMER?? ANY FIRST TIME INFO TO JAMAICA WOULD BE HELPFUL. THANKS!!

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 10:26 AM
xxx

Hi there! I'm not there person you asked to respond but here is my two cents worth...<BR> We recently stayed in Negril, flew into Mo Bay. What I saw of Mo Bay did not impress me--it seemed like a big city that just happened to be a a beach. I'm sure others may respond to disagree, but that was my impression.<BR> You could not pay me to drive in Jamaica. I drove without hesitiation while in the UK so it is not the idea of driving on the left is the problem. Roads are in terrible condition and poorly marked, if marked at all.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 10:28 AM
xxx

Sorry, posted before I meant to. I would not fancy an unnecessary ride to Negril. While only about 50 miles, it takes about 2 hours to get there. The coast road is still under construction. Parts of that ride truly seemed death-defying. Others who took the mountain road said their trip was not much better.