ISO Caneel type resort in Antigua

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're 3 women who have been going to Caneel for ages and were sad to find out that our arrangements there won't work for this year. We like to look of the beaches on Antigua and would appreciate any recommendations on places to stay. The things that are important to us are QUIET, beautiful not-too-crowded beaches, and the ability to afford more than a double room. Thanks!
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:08 AM

I am also a many time repeat guest at Caneel, and love it. I have been to Antigua once at Jumby Bay; however, I felt that it could not compare to Caneel. That being said, you may want to look at Little Dix on Virgin Gorda.

I believe this resort is comparable ti Caneel, and best of all, currently there is a summer special that last, I believe, until mid-December This special includes breakfast for two and reductions in the room and meal plan rates.

I enjoyed my April visit so much, that I plan to return again in November.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:21 AM

The upscale resorts on Antigua are Jumby Bay, Carlisle Bay, Curtain Bluff and Galley Bay - none are anything like Caneel Bay (Jumby Bay comes closest).

I second the previous posters suggestion of checking out Litte Dix Bay - it's much better than Caneel but since you mentioned the ability to "afford more than a double room" without giving us a clue to your budget the price might be a deterrent for you.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:42 AM

I would say while Little Dix is closest you will often have a number of children. While that is the case at Caneel the size of the property makes it less of an issue. Jumby Bay on our 1 visit (a school break for some areas of the US) it had just a few children and that is a function of size. It is truly a boutique resort. The food was very good but chef's change so what was very good in 2003 may not be in 2007.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:20 AM

I've been to Antigua several times, and while the beaches there are lovely, I'm not sure you're gaining something over the ones on St. John to try something new.

There's a new resort called the Hermitage on Antigua that looks very nice, but I've not stayed there. You could consider checking that out...
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check out the different resorts mentioned although did already see that Jumby was above our budget (we're looking at $500/night for the room). We have been to Little Dix and think that we'd go a bit stir crazy since we go for 2 weeks. One of the great things about Caneel (besides the beaches of course), is that it's so easy to go into Cruz Bay and that's where we prefer to go for meals. With all due respect to families with kids, there were way too many of them at Little Dix when we were there!
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 01:17 PM

If you are going to stay for 2 weeks, I'd recommend a villa. There are independent villas on Antigua that might work for you. Perhaps you could post and get suggestions. Another option would be Anguilla, where are a lot of villas, beautiful uncrowded beaches, and great restaurants.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 04:26 PM

I would suggest looking at the Turks & Caicos. Terrific beaches and quite a few places to stay. Not sure where you're flying from but it's an easy trip from the East Coast or the southern US. Or, maybe Barbados?
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

THanks for the additional suggestions. We're from NJ and one other consideration is to go somewhere that Continental flies on a direct basis. Will have to check out T & C.
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 09:18 AM

TCI are not really Caneel like with its barren topography. Of course there are high-end resorts on Provo but they are all lined up along one fantastic beach but not private little coves like at Caneel. It certainly is quiet but just doesn't have the same feel as the more southerly Caribbean. I do thoroughly enjoy Meridan Club and there are other resorts in the Caicos and the Turks but nothing to compare with Caneel (other than Parrot Cay which really doesn't compare at all). Also if considering TCI please consider the time of year since I find it too cool for my bones after November and much before April! I know that it too is not as lush but since no one has mentioned it there are some wonderful spots on Anguilla which has absolutely stunning beaches and great restaurants. And, if indeed you got bored with the beaches, you can hop a ferry to SXM or even a trip to St. Barths to break it up.