is tortola worth it?

Old Aug 9th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

is tortola worth it?

is it worth taking a day trip from st. thomas to tortola to relax on one of it's beaches and maybe have lunch?
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 03:45 AM

If you are vacationing on STT, then absolutely a trip to Tortola would be worth it! Tortola is much more laid back.
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 06:55 AM

In my opinion, the best day trips from STT are to St. John, and The Baths in Virgin Gorda. Sometimes you can find a fast boat that takes you to jost Van Dyke and Virgin Gorda. Or Virgin Gorda and Peter Island.

I've noticed from your other posts, you're trying to pack it all in 1 trip. While it is feasable, you'll be tired!

My opinion again, but a better question is: Which are the best islands to day trip if I've never been?

I love Tortola, but I find it a good base for island hopping. If you are looking for the best day trips, check out St. John, Virgin Gorda, then Peter Island and Jost Van Dyke, in that order. (You may have to go through Tortola on the way anyway)
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 08:45 AM

If you want the most time enjoying yourself take an early ferry to St. John and pre-arrange from St. Thomas to go on a 3-4 hr. snorkel trip on a power or sail boat that takes 6-10 other travelers, no more, and makes at least 2 30-40 minute snorkel stops around Caneeel Bay resort. Have a quick lunch in Cruz Bay and rent a car for half a day,pre-arrange from St. Thomas, (suggest get a Compact or Standard size car for it is hilly but lovely and lush and drive around yourself with a $5 map so it gives enough detail. You will have had a full day and take a 5-6 PM ferry back. It may be more practical to do the drive in the morning and boat trip (usually go out at 1-1:30PM-gets back by 4:30-5) in the afternoon.
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 07:40 PM

I'm not an expert, but based on our one and only trip to the Caribbean last summer - we were based on Tortola - I've gotta vote with an emphatic yes! We had several unbelievably wonderful days-to-remember relaxing on Tortola's beaches.

We enjoyed several other days and beaches on Tortola.....but let me tell you about our day at Smuggler's Cove.

Picture a heartbreakingly beautiful bay and beach, with palm trees ringing the beach, and that aquamarine crystal-clear Caribbean water in front of you. Islands and sailboats to gaze at in the distance.

We arrive around 10:30 am, having driven a terrible (though very do-able) road to get there, and find a dirt parking lot with about 6 cars in it. Walk short path to that beautiful beach. There's MAYBE 15 people on the beach. Strike acquaintance with local lady who has a "stand" set up. She has lounge-chair rentals, lunch-counter, and full bar (a blender I think hooked up to car batteries, fresh fruit, beer and pop in ice chests, a small grill to cook hamburgers and hot dogs.....). She's friendly and helpful, and after asking if we're here for the day, she says "she'll just start us a tab for the day". We get and place our loungers in the palm-tree shade and start our day with awesome fresh-fruit smoothies. We laze, we swim, we drink. We nap. Smoothies segued to Coronas. We visit with other visitors and locals (later in the day a local family-reunion group showed up - they were reserved, but we enjoyed being able to visit a little with them). We belatedly remember to order lunch, she's out of hamburgers but grills us hot dogs, then later comes to tell us that she sent to town for more hamburger patties and will fix us one, so we eat again. More lazing. And swimming. And drinking. And pinching ourselves to wake us up out of this wonderful dream of a day.

Our tab for the day was around $56.00, including a tip. It would have been worth 3 times as much to us for the awesome time we had.

So yes.....go to Tortola for a day trip.....you might get lucky and have a day-to-remember like we had.....