Search

Internet?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Nelle

Internet?

Are there any internet-cafes in Havana and Varadero?Rates?

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Steve

I have not seen any internet cafes in Cuba either in Havana or Veradero. Remember that for the Cuban government, the internet is the great evil because it allows their citizens to get the real news from outside Cuba. Although some people have illegal internet access at their homes. This is obtained from tapping into a legitimate busineess account. Foreign businesses are allowed to have internet access.<BR><BR>The best suggestion I can offer you if you are travelling in Cuba is to ask at your hotel front desk. I know that some hotels have internet access available to foreign tourists/business people in a business centre in the hotel. Also, some hotels have email only available, however while you can send out an email, or receive it if you are staying several days, you cannot access commercial internet email accounts.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.<BR>Steve

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 03:14 AM
melissa

Actually almost evey resort in Varadero have internet. The rates were pretty good. One hotel i think was $5 per hour. I didn't think that was too bad anyway. I guess that Cuba was hosting some kind of conference of a bunch of other nations, and Castro didn't want them to think their citizens were living in the stoneage, so he had internet put into all the resorts.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 08:26 AM
John

There are internet cafes in Havana as well. Just go to a top of the range hotel and ask. I paid $5 an hour for a very slow connection. Using hotmail is a nightmare - I would sign up with a more basic web-based email provider as it takes ages for the hotmail pages to download. I actually thought $5 was a lot for an hour, but then the internet is a priviledge not open to most Cubans.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 04:54 AM
pro-cuba

The main library in Havanna has Internet access!