"Insiders Tip St Thomas"

Dec 1st, 2004, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

"Insiders Tip St Thomas"

Am planning a trip to STT in early 2005. First time to caribbean. Any tips on where to stay, best parts of the island (away from tourists), things MUST be done.

Any info is great!
Dec 5th, 2004, 05:31 PM

We stayed in St. Thomas for a few nights in March prior to taking a windjammer trip. I was looking for someplace cheap for our "extra" nights. We stayed at the island view guest house which is up in the hillside overlooking the harbors. The rate was great (abt 70/night), the owners were exceptionally friendly and helpful, and the view from the open air dining room was stunning. The rooms and pool were simple--nothing fancy. They did have items like binoculars, snorkel equipt,beach towels, books etc that you could borrow. The dining room had a small kitchen area where you could help yourself to drinks/snacks and just mark down on a board what you took--very reasonable prices ($2 beer etc). We did not rent a car as we found it was just as easy and cheap to call a cab whenever we needed a ride..plus no worries about drinking and you always got to enjoy the scenery. One beach you MUST visit is magen's bay beach--rated by national geographic as one of the most beautiful in the world. The setting was stunning ,the sand felt like flour, and the water was sheltered and calm--and plenty of room to spread out. It also offers a quaint beach bar and shop. We much preferred it to cokie beach which was very small and crowded with mega-cruise ship passengers. Our favorite restaurant was hook,line and sinker which was part of the private marina--nautical decor, view of harbor, huge open windows, quite casual and incredible food. You may want to avoid the downtown area which is crawling with cruise ship passengers. This island is known for shopping, but I did not shop for a single thing. It supposedly has a high crime rate, but we never felt in harm's way--just be smart. You may also want to take a trip over to St. John for a day tour as it is simply stunning--2/3 national park, and very quaint..much less touristy feel. We thoroughly enjoyed our time in St. Thomas--hope this helps you out some.
Dec 5th, 2004, 06:21 PM

My wife and I visited St. Thomas in December of 2002. We stayed at the Marriott MorningStar resort. Marriott also has a sister resort on the same property named Frenchman's Reef. Frenchman's Reef is a conventional resort hotel located high above the water on a bluff, while the MorningStar is located directly on the beach. The MorningStar is a cluster of smaller buildings that each houses 8 rooms. We stayed in a Ocean-view room. Excellent hotel. We stayed using Marriott Rewards points, so I'm not sure how much it would cost.

As far as excusions, I would also recommend a visit to St. John. A boat trip to the British Virgin Islands is also a good idea. It takes almost a whole day, but is worth it.

I also have a restaurant recommendation if you are into fine dining. I highly recommend going to "Craig & Sally's". The menu is re-created each day based upon the ingredients that the owners buy at market. Extensive wine list. Easily one of the best meals I have ever had.
Dec 8th, 2004, 10:55 AM

Insider's tip St Thomas"

Stay on St John instead!
Dec 8th, 2004, 11:08 AM

I agree with peterboy.
Dec 20th, 2004, 06:12 PM
az

how many in your party? for more than 1 or 2, renting a villa may be much less expensive than a resort/hotel. and you have far more options on locations with villas; you can be as isolated or as "crowded" as you choose. can provide much more info on villas if you are interested.
Dec 21st, 2004, 06:26 AM

hi dunham, you could check out www.secretharbourvi.com its a very nice mid-size, mid-priced condohotel. it is on the quiet end of the island. really nice beach with good walk-in to the water snorkeling. it is very close to red hook where you catch the ferry to st. johns. red hook has alot going on- shops, restaurants, but not like downtown charlotte amalie. secret harbor has complete kitchens in the units and there is a grocery about 10 mins drive.they also have an excellent and very picturesque restaurant. there is a beach called lindquist also maybe 10 mins. you will need a local to tell you where the sneaky little road to it is. it is a stunning and usually deserted beach. swim out quite a ways on the right to snorkel a good reef. if you are at all into shopping pick a time when there are no ships in and do it up. they have a wonderful locals market at one end of town. restaurants abound. there is an excellent undersea park called Coral Gardens.