Info for vacation rental Exuma needed

Sep 13th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Info for vacation rental Exuma needed

Help!! I am trying to decide on a vacation rental for a group of 6 (4 adults and 2 teens). There are a few I am interested in, if anyone has stayed at any of these or are familiar in anyway I'd appreciate it. I have looked at SeaStar (Jolly Hall Bay), Water's Edge (the Cays development-west side of island) and Xanadu (Jolly Hall Bay) and I'll Do (Tar Bay). I am open to suggestions. I am wanting to book before the end of next week. Here are my requirements. The place has got to have a/c in every room, tv(s)cable/sat, 2-3bedrooms with 2 baths. I would like something on a calm beach preferably soft sand and not too rocky-prefer no rocks in water. Would like house to come with water toys(kayaks,snorkel gear). Am looking for something under $2500 a week. Any suggestions would be most welcomed! Thanks, Kris
Sep 13th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Oh, forgot the big one-want a house that is nicely furnished, not run down or rustic looking.
Sep 13th, 2007, 10:22 AM

hi one, i've never stayed in the bahamas but always rent villas on my trips and have gotten pretty good at figuring them out.
water's edge is not a stand alone villa. it seems to be part of a small community of rentals. your pool would not be your pool. noise might be made when you would prefer not - or maybe your teens will want to be noisy??
xanadu is not beachfront at all.
i can't find a link to i'll do anywhere.
but seastar looks like exactly what you're hoping to find. you may need water shoes to get in the sea, it's hard to tell but the pic with the walkway makes it look like the water's edge has some rocks. the house looks comfortable and pleasant.
Sep 13th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Hi Virginia-thanks for your reply. I talked a length with the owner of the Water's Edge and she said there are 10 homes there, most are 3/4th vacation homes for wealthy persons, most absent tenants with a few owned by persons living/working on island. She said we may see a person or two at pool on weekend. The water very shallow at low tide2-3 feet and 5-6 at high tide. I liked the idea of a pool for the kids, the small beach with hammocks and the newer more modern furnishings. A previous poster on this board has stayed at SeaStar and said it was nice, but rocky beach-tried sending a posting to hers to get more specific information with no luck as yet. I really appreciate you taking the time to look these homes up and offering your input. Thanks so much!!
Kris
Sep 13th, 2007, 02:24 PM

oh anytime kris. i love looking at caribbean villas any time on any island. inspires me for future travel.
maybe water's edge is good then with the pool - who doesn't love a pool! be sure and let us know which house you pick with a trip report and maybe a few photos.
could you post a link to I'll Do?
Sep 13th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

http://www.vrbo.com/110199

That's the link to This I'll Do. They don't rent this out too much, and she is trying to send me some pics. I also saw this listed as for sale on another site, which would make me not want to rent-what happens if it sells?
This is so hard. I am a perfectionist and not knowing what something is like only being able to see photos, is a bit scary. We have always stayed in a hotel, except once on Bequia and we got lucky with some really nice apartment. I told my family what you said about the SeaStar, now trying to convince them of this, we could stay longer for cheaper. I am going to call the owner tonight with questions. My head hurts from days of trying to find the right spot for all. If I had my way I'd stay on Staniel Cay at the Yacht Club, one of the cottages, but I think two teens with no TV and only one dining choice would be bored and if it rains-hate to think of that. Thanks again and will keep you posted. I always write a trip report you can count on one from me-have never used these boards before.
Sep 13th, 2007, 05:31 PM

ok, i've looked at I'll Do. it looks like a very nice house on a slightly better looking beach. the tipping point for me is that seastasr has 3 bedrooms. we've traveled w/teens before and they like to stay up late and sleep late. you'll feel like you have to be very quiet & whispery when you make your breakfast if they're sleeping a few feet away on the great room couches at i'll do. but really both houses are nice.
i think the teens, & all will enjoy being able to make their own meals/snacks in kitchen, as opposed to restaurant at staniel.
i agree renting villas seems a bit of a leap of faith sometimes. happily we've always had good luck. you are certainly entitled to ask an owner for recommendation from past renters.
regarding villa for sale. i believe you'll find that half the rentals in the carib are also listed for sale. one i rented in turks and caicos did sell. they reconfigured the house a bit but it's still a rental.
and finally - i always vote to stay longer!
you'll feel better once you book a house. then you can start the fun part, like finding out all the dining options, rental cars, where the grocery is, excursions... does anyone plan to go bonefishing?
Sep 14th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

My brother is the fisherman of the group, although I haven't been deep sea fishing in years I have emailed some charters about further info. I would even like to try the bonefishing, which is supposed to be superb. I am waiting for the final word from my brother and his girlfriend to see if they are going to go with us,, then book. If they are coming, definitely SeaStar, if not something smaller-more deciding if they aren't going. Will keep you updated!!