Caribbean, 1st time, 6-8 adults, 4 toddlers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Caribbean newbie here. Considering big family trip to somewhere in the Caribbean in the low season (summer). 6 to 8 adults with 4 toddlers ranging from 2 to 4 years old. Thinking a villa rental is the way to go. Here is the WISH list:

-- Beach front is not necessary but beach access is pretty important
-- Beach must have calm water for the toddlers to play in
-- Would prefer a nice long beach (2+ miles) for walking; probably a pipe dream in the Caribbean since we are looking for a villa and not a hotel
-- Access to some shopping for the ladies
-- Access to some golf for the guys
-- Close proximity to some family friendly restaurants
-- Would love for the villa to have a pool but would love for it to be child proof (if there is such a thing)
-- Good hospitals/medical care in case one of the kids gets deathly ill or has an accident

Based on my research, while I think Aruba meets much of the above, I don’t think there are really villas to rent there, just hotels, which I think may be more expensive than a villa – fair statement?

So, basically looking for which island recommendation and which villa rental company and, if possible, which exact villa if anyone has stayed at one that they think would fit the bill.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 06:53 PM

Sounds like Grand Cayman to me. Check out caymanvacations.com for lots of condo options.
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 05:37 AM

Yes, with a group your size renting a villa or condo makes perfect sense.

St. Thomas has plenty of villas (many with pools), golf, decent medical facilities, lots of restaurants in all price ranges, excellent beaches, golf and plenty of shopping for the ladies.

Grace Bay on Providenciales (Turks & Caicos) is a family friendly island with a beach that is 12 miles long, there are numerous "condo" resorts and several rental villas on the Bay and lots of other villas on waterfront villas around the island, plenty of restaurants (again family friendly), golf, good medical facilities. The only thing on your list that it lacks is good shopping (the island does have the ubiquitious tourist t-shirt and trinket shops.

Regarding your request for "child proof" pools, I don't know exactly what you mean by that. Most resorts and villas will have pools that have shallow ends and many of the "family friendly" condos will have either a children's area with extra shallow water or seperate children's pool. Beyond that, you won't find many pools behind fenced in area, or equipped with alarm systems or even staffed by lifeguards. It's pretty much "swim at your own risk" so be vigilant during your stay. Also, I wouldn't expect a villa to have a pool specifically designed for children as most are design by adults for adults. Keep in mind that most islands in the Caribbean do not have the same "child protection laws" that you've come to take for granted "back home".

Lastly, once you choose your island finding a rental villa is relatively easy. Do a google search using such titles as "Rental Villas + NAME OF ISLAND" and you'll generally find links to just about every villa on that particular island. You can then scroll through the various web-sites picking those with the number of bedrooms you need. You'll find complete descriptions, rates and photos of all the villas. Once you narrow down your choices you can make another post to find out if anyone on the forum has stayed there.
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 06:00 AM

if you choose provo, t&c, i would suggest looking for a villa/s on taylor bay beach or in adjoining ocean point villas. taylor is made for toddlers as the water is never more than knee deep for 100yds or more out from the talcum powder soft beach. the beach itself is just under a mile long & is great for walking. as i recall a couple of those houses had pools, but several were beachfront. you would be 20-35 mins from beaches/restaurants-grocery.
here's a map:http://www.aquamarinebeachhouses.com/map.htm
come to think of it the aqua houses might be good for you too. click on the map to their homepage.
there are many more expensive options if you're interested.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your inputs! Great link, luvtotravl, thanks.

Am strongly leaning towards Grand Cayman.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 05:33 AM

Hi Georgiatraveler,
We stayed at Caribbean Wind on Mahoe Bay in Virgin Gorda with 2 other couples and 2 children who were under 1yr at the time. I specifically looked for a pool that the kids couldn't just "fall" into, and this villa had it. It has a stone wall about 2 feet high all the way around so if the kiddies want to get in, they really have to try. This was our favorite Caribbean place we've been to (and we've been to a lot). The villa was gorgeous, well maintained, very private, the beach was private (at the most about 5 other people on it at any time), beautiful sunset views, nice little shops for the women (although no golf-not sure if the guys would be okay with that?). There are some great restaurants, and the island is small so you can rent a car and see the whole island. Definitely check out the Baths. The water overall on all the beaches is very calm and perfect for the little ones. Caribbean Wind is set up so that the bedroom (with king bed) is connected to another bedroom (with 2 twins) which is in the main part of the house. Then there are 2 other large bedrooms each with kings with a separate entrance (note that you can rent pack’n’plays or cots if needed for the kids). There's a large bbq grill too. I think this would be perfect if it fits into your budget. Here are my pix to it:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...share&Ux=0

And here's the link to the site:
http://www.caribbeanwind.com/

Old Mar 20th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

kellybeaches,

Great post, thanks so much. Definitely what we are looking for. How hard was it to actually get there? # of connecting flights, etc.

BTW, great slide show. Your daughter is a cutie pie!

Thanks!
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 05:40 AM

Hi Georgiatraveler,
Glad I could be of help. Getting there was a bit of a pain, but if I went again, I would get there differently. We flew out of Philly to San Juan, Puerto Rico and then caught a puddle jumper (Air Sunshine-which is the only airline that flies into VG) there. We had a really bad experience with customer service both ways with Air Sunshine and under no circumstances would ever fly with them again. With that being said, there are people on this board who haven’t had any problems with them. Maybe we just caught them on 2 bad days? Although the locals call them “Air Sometimes” and in my opinion I completely agree with them. Anyway, the way I would go if I did it again would be to fly to San Juan via American Air, then take their smaller connecting flight American Eagle (so they’ll transfer your bags for you and you won’t have connection issues) to Tortola. From Tortola you take a short ferry ride (I think the ferry rides are very nice and relaxing) over to VG. Another option would be to fly direct to St. Thomas and take a sea plane over to VG, but they have a very limited schedule. I think your best bet is to go through Tortola, unless you want to risk it w/Air Sunshine. If you do, make sure you get to the gate AT LEAST 2 hours before your boarding time, even if they tell you otherwise ahead of time, and even if your party is taking up the whole plane, or else they’ll charge you full price of your tickets again and make you sit for hours not letting you bored while you watch your plane sit idle on the runway. No fun-especially with small kids.

Anyway, I realize I didn’t answer your question about medical facilities. Our friend had a situation and had to go to the clinic on the island while there. She said they were very friendly and helpful.

One thing you may want to do if you go is bring down some frozen meat/fish. We were there over memorial day week and the boat bringing food to the island hadn’t come yet (the end of the month they tend to run out of food as the boats come in once a month) so we had a hard time finding anything fresh food wise. The restaurants were all very good and had fresh food-it was just the food stores were running out. Do check out Leverick Bay BBQ-live music, great buffet, lots of fun!

Oh, and you can rent a car with the car seat installed. It worked out well for us.

Sorry for the book. Let us know what you end up going with!
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:03 PM

Did you pick a place yet? I just returned from a wonderful trip with 9 adults & 3 kids 5 and under. I have a great suggestion, but I don't want to type in lots of details if you already picked a place. Please respond & I'll send you more info. It meets most of your criteria. Wonderful trip, great resort, individual small villas for separate families; great hosts; beautiful location; kid-friendly restaurants, etc.