Villa rental in Eleuthera

Old Jan 25th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Villa rental in Eleuthera

Hi,
I am a first time visitor to Eleuthera and am looking for a reasonable rental for a week. I prefer to be able to snorkel at the villa in calm shallow-ish water. Would like the house to be in a private area. Can I expect that all houses will run on a generator? Do they have solar heating for the water as well as a cistern? Have heard stories about turning generators on and off. Currently considering the Palmetto area. Please help.
Also would appreciate any comments about the noseeums and bugs which I understand can be bad in June. I am familiar with island lifestyle so simplictic surroundings are no problem. I am just trying to be prepared.
Thanks to any who want to respond!!
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 06:43 AM

HI mewmon! I have rented villas three times on Eleuthera. It is truly a lovely island. None of the villas we've rented were run by generator, it was "regular" electricity, and water heating. No cisterns either. But we took most of our showers outdoors anyway, in cold water (which was lukewarm because of the hot Bahamian sun). All were in the area you're considering. Noseeums were not bad at all, Eleuthera is rather arid - unlike the USVI for example, where the noseeums just about ruined our camping trip. There are your typical bugs, including spiders and scorpions...but you're used to that right?

Here's the 3 villas we rented: (I'm copying this part from an older post I wrote here.)
We've stayed in budget, mid range, and luxurious villas on Eleuthera.
Here's the budget property (SeaStar):
http://www.calypsocalypso.com/

Mid range (Finiterre):
http://www.vrbo.com/12958

A little more upscale:
http://www.pinksandbeach.net/

All 3 villas were directly on the pink sand beach. The last one was the most secluded, but at all we only saw one or two others on the beach, hardly within waving distance, in the 4-6 days we stayed!
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Joan. I am relieved to hear that the bugs are no worse than in the USVI. Also it is nice to know that not all of the homes run on generators. The lighthouse property looks neat and I already had Finiterre on my list.
Thanks for the help.
Considering Atlantic Blues, Ocean Palm, or Stone House in Balara Bay. Looking for any info on these houses.
Thanks.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 01:50 PM

mewmon, Atlantic Blues looks wonderful...in part because I've seen it walking along the beach, and there's just an unobstructed view of the water from this house. Some of the homes have intricate stone railings, which can really impede the view. This house looked clean and new to me.

There's one more cottage which intrigues me because it sits all by itself right at the water's edge...very secluded. It's called Le Sable Rose, see it for yourself...
http://www.bahamas-beach-rental.com/

Have fun choosing!
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 04:15 AM

Looking for a vacation rental? VRBO.com is the best! Best thing about it is there is a brief description of hundreds of properties all on one page, very little use of the "back" and "forward" button.