In Need of a Romantic Getaway!

Apr 26th, 2002, 06:13 AM
JLove

In Need of a Romantic Getaway!

Hi! My husband and I are planning a weeklong getaway during the summer -- just the two of us! Where should we go???? Nightlife is not a big issue. Ideally, would like to rent a private villa.
The main objective of this vacation is to "reconnect".
Any suggestions?

Apr 26th, 2002, 07:03 AM
ryan

Summer may not be the best time to go to the Caribbean as it can be brutally hot. You might want to think about June as you'll also avoid the Hurricane season.

If you do go Barbados is a great island.

If you want a private villa and are willing to pay for it, the island of Mustique is a great spot.

There is only one small hotel and about 80 or so private Villas. Celebs like Mick Jagger and David Bowie are among the owners. There are several companies that manage the bookings. Most villas have pools and will come with a chef and housekeeping services.

Apr 26th, 2002, 09:00 AM
tivertonhouse

See our collection of unusual,off the beaten track villas, beach cottages and estates at jamaicaescapes.com

Apr 26th, 2002, 10:14 AM
liz

I have posted many times here about Le Toiny on St. Barth's, by far the most romantic, idyllic destination imagineable. It is just 12 villas each with its own pool, yet it is a hotel so amazing room service, breakfast served by the pool, a jeep included in the package etc. They have a 5 day package called Awaken in the Dream that goes for Euro 3750.00 including a dinner in their restaurant which is tops on this island of all terrific restaurants, and a day sail, picnic etc. We bought 3 of these packages last year and stayed for 15 days!!! We were there in July which is the hottest month, about 88 steadily night and day which was PERFECT...the airconditioning indoors functions flawlessly plus ceiling fans, the high four poster mahagony poster bed, draped in mosquito-netting and outfitted with everything from a featherbed to Frette sheets was the most divine place to spend time, did I mention the ocean view from the bed, each villa is floor to ceiling windows overlooking the Caribbean and a beach terrific for snorkelling....in room CD with a vast collection of your favorite music....champagne and fois grois upon arrival...they pick you up at the little toy airport and whisk you off to paradise....and if you are smart, you will take the non-stop from wherever to St. Martin and then the puddle-jumper to STB and SKIP Puerto Rico as an interim stop. This island is paradise, no poverty, no chains, no busses, no crowds....heavenly and like a European vacation blended in with the Caribbean. A++++

Apr 26th, 2002, 10:35 AM
liz

PS to the above. A smart friend talked me out of renting a villa per se last year when we were planning our trip...impossible to reconnect if you still have to shop, cook, etc. Go somewhere where you, the wife, are utterly DISconnected from the daily drag....

Apr 26th, 2002, 11:00 AM
xxx

Why do you think you HAVE to shop and cook just because you have a villa? If you want eat at restaurants, just go to restaurants.

And you can get a villa with daily maid service

Apr 26th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Need

What about Ladera on St. Lucia? I'm planning something similar and had thought that to be a good choice. Any thoughts?

Apr 26th, 2002, 02:31 PM
liz

I think that Mr. XXX at [email protected] is in fact a mister. Any woman would understand WHY the threat of a kitchen is so gruesome. Don't know about Ladera but have heard just wonderful things about Jalouise Hilton on St. Lucia...forget that it is a Hilton...private villas, amazingly beautiful and romantic....

Apr 27th, 2002, 02:04 AM
tivertonhouse

Villas normally come with live-out staff:cooks/housekeepers/groundsmen/yardies/drivers -- that's why one rents a villa. It's just more laid-back and private and you call the shots. For a long weekend, consider the flight time first with direct flights of no more than 3-4 hours best which rules out a lot of great romantic places. For smaller boutique hotels, check outThe Horned Dorset Primavera in Rincon, PR;
Maroma in the Yucatan;St.Barts; Golden Eye or The Blue Lagoon Villas in Jamaica are all within easy travel range ....

Apr 27th, 2002, 12:49 PM
JLove

Thanks for all the replies! I REALLY appreciate it and will take all into consideration.

What are your thoughts on any of the Bahama Islands?

Apr 28th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Shar

Not a big fan of the Bahamas but everyone has their own opinion. You might want to check out Leverick Bay villas in Virgin Gorda. Staying at the villas entitles you to use the facilities at Leverick Bay Resort (see information online using Google). Virgin Gorda has beautiful beaches and is definitely romantic! Couldn't get more romantic than at La Casa Que Canta Villas in Zihuatanejo Mexico (see Fodors review and check online). Good luck.

Apr 29th, 2002, 06:47 AM
joan

JLove, I am a woman (surprise!) who loves villas. We will be returning in two weeks to Eleuthera in the Bahamas, renting a villa. Imagine walking on a pink beach, seeing nobody else the whole time, going back to your private villa and mixing a couple of drinks to enjoy while lounging sans clothes on your deck overlooking the Atlantic. Now that's a way to reconnect! My husband and I pack a small cooler with steaks and lobsters, and jump on the plane. We enjoy getting away from the kids and cooking what we like, riding bikes and snorkelling and kayaking during the day, no maids required. We dine out whenever we feel like it. Liz, I understand what you mean about the kitchen, but I have a husband who loves to help, lucky me, so it's just plain fun to whip something simple up in the privacy of our own place.

P.S. to "Need": We rented a villa just above Ladera, dined there a couple of times. Absolutely gorgeous, great food, and those three-walled villas are really romantic. Do a search on this forum, and you'll find lots of admirers of Ladera!

Apr 29th, 2002, 08:13 AM
JLove

Joan - can I ask what villa you're renting on Eleuthera?

Apr 29th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Sharon

If you want a very romantic place with spectacular views, then try the Pompano Beach Club in Bermuda--see website.

Apr 29th, 2002, 04:55 PM
joan

JLove, the villa is named Finiterre. Here's the URL:
http://www.vrbo.com/vrbo/12958.htm

We've also stayed in two other villas on Eleuthera:
One, called Calypso, was in the budget category. The rental included beach cruiser bikes and a two-man kayak (which you can paddle to the little islet offshore).

http://calypsocalypso.com/

And the other one was very nicely furnished. We shared it with another couple. This new home had a real working lighthouse atop it!
http://pinksandbeach.net/

Can't resist adding Tortola to the above. Not on a beach, but we rented a home there, with a pool, that was sooo romantic. No website though, got it out of Caribbean Travel & Life Magazine (they have an online ad base though, look for "winter whale watch" as the tag line).

One more thought: Eleuthera is not for everybody. Very laid back - you must really enjoy being alone together! Have a great time wherever you go!

Search this Thread