Search

I'm sorry...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry...

I just wanted to take a minute and apologize for being a slacker fodorite here for the past few months...

I know I have been very lazy in posting trip reports, and I have seen some of my fellow fodorites great news - new babies! - and not so good news - back problems - and trip reports that were super! ... that I didn't have the energy to respond to. Days went by without my even getting on the computer.

Without going into the gory details, we (my husband and I) got some very scary health news in April the week we left on vacation and have been having a hard time dealing with it.

We'd both always been uber-healthy, and never had any reason to think that would not continue on into the future. It's really frightening when you are confronted with your mortality.

The good news is that the Beast appears to have been beaten. Please, everyone, go for your annual physicals and see your doctor for anything that seems amiss. This was discovered by accident during a routine physical that had been, ahem, put off.

We all want to spend our golden years experiencing what we so love to talk about on the board - travel!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:29 AM

hey Diana,
A friend of my family also recently had some shocking health news- colon cancer that has now spread all over his body.

Had he been doing his regular physicals it might have been caught early. Up until this point he has been a super healthy fellow...playing tennis every day for over thirty years with my father.

His prognosis is not so good. I too urge all to not put off regular physicals.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:30 AM

oh...and Diana,
I'm glad to hear that the beast has retreated for you guys!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:42 AM

Oh I'm sorry. I'm so glad I didn't post a new thread calling you a slacker! I'm serious, I thought about it awaiting the Dominica part of your last trip report
I'm glad to hear things are better for you. My husband and I are anal about annual check-ups as we've had family members with very serious illnesses (including my mother who beat cancer twice except for the third time).
Hope to hear of more travels in your future!
Thanks for letting us know.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:46 AM
owa

Diana, As I have said over and over on this board I volunteer at a cancer center, and I see how quickly life can change overnight. Take the trips, say the "I love you", spend time with friends, smile at strangers, and be thankful for every healthy day.

Diana, I'm glad to hear the good news. Owa

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:51 AM

Diana, I am so sorry to read about your health scare, but just as happy to read that the scary time has passed. May you and your DH continue to enjoy your good health for many years to come!

I hope that you're able to enjoy your next vacation (did you decide anything else since your last post) will be that much more enjoyable without the pall you had hanging over you in April.

And now may we pretty please have a trip report?
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 09:19 AM
KVR

I very sorry to hear about your health scare. I can understand having to deal with one's morality. One year ago this month, my husband was diagnoised with cancer. It's been a grueling year of chemo and it's side effects for him that's not over yet, but he is winning the battle. Luckly, he went for his physical and they caught it early.

Since then our whole way of thinking and all our priorities have changed. We've also been lucky that it hasn't effected our quest for exploring various Caribbean Islands.

I hope everything works out for you and your family.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 12:09 PM

Hi Diana,

Lovely to see you posting again

I have only just got off the phone to scheduled a physical - luckily I got a cancellation and I'm booked in for Monday

With my history I should have

Thank you for the reminder
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Posted too soon

With my history I should have the 'girlie' check up more often but as with everything i out it off
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 12:20 PM

I'm sure you all know I meant to say 'Put' it off
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 12:24 PM

Alya: You had me worried there for a sec.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 12:33 PM

Diana,

I was so pleased to see you posting again. I meant to write and tell you how much your contributions have been missed.

I know that you raise and show horses, and just assumed that your concentration was in that realm.

Your wisdom has been missed, and thanks for sharing personal information...not an easy thing to do.

Thoughts, prayers and giant HUGS are with you

Marion
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 01:23 PM

I hope things continue to get better for you.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your sweet sentiments and well-wishes. I feel like I know many of you personally although we have never met.

We do learn a lot about each other through these posts. Sometimes when I go somewhere I will think, "oh, so and so from the forum would probably really like this!"

JAGIRL, I'll be thinking of your friend and hoping for the best. I have enjoyed your cute little colorful posts. They've been very cheering.

caribtraveler and ej, this is funny, but Mark from Beau Rive e-mailed me this week and asked me if everything was OK. (How kind.) He had been looking for my trip report and had a feeling something might be "up." Amazing. I am going to get on it and get it finished and posted. (Promise!)

owa, we're fortunate in that we are very cognizant of what we have - even more so now. Bless you for being involved in that type of work. I'm sure it's very hard at times.

ej, we did decide on Vieques and Bequia in October. I thought about the diagnosis constantly on the April trip, but my husband (oddly) was able to keep it almost toally out of his mind. We didn't talk about it at all until the last day. Great guy!

KVR, I'll be pulling for you and your husband. It's such a shock to get the news. Sounds like he is doing well - we're rooting for you!

alya, good to hear it! I'm sure you will be cleared for topless sunbathing in Negril in no time!

Thank you so much Marion and Carrybean.
I'll make sure it's GENTLE hugs Marion.

Thank you all so much. It has been really heartwarming to get such a lovely response. I so appreciate it. Now go tell someone how much you care about them.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 03:44 PM

Yes...gentle hugs

I told the lovely Spaniel how much I care about her. She seemed to know that...so I'll tell you. Take care of you !

Marion
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 04:01 PM

Positive thoughts being sent your way.
God bless.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 04:35 PM

Ditto everyones warm wishes!!! I too was wondering what happened with your TR as I knew you were so looking forward to Dominica. Glad to hear everything is OK.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 05:57 PM

Hi Diana-
Whatever the "beast" is or was...I wish it gone forever! Stay strong and you have the best wishes from our family. Safe and happy travels!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 07:59 AM

No apology necessary. Just glad to see you back, and your family in good health.