Search

Ikemerson question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ikemerson question

Hello Ikemerson,

We are leaving for Provo early Friday morning, would love to know the TIP the belongers gave you in entering Smith Reef easier.

I appreciate any info. I know your are planning to write a trip report BUT we will be in Provo in 48 hours.

Thank you very much. Glad you had a good trip.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 08:38 AM

Karen,
Welcome home!! Can't wait to read your trip report on T&C.
Sandy
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 10:08 AM
KVR

Stella39,

Hope you have a great trip. I'll be waiting impatiently on how you liked the Sibonne. We've got 69 days.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:28 AM

stella, in case ike does not get back on before you go; i do not know about the marking rocks, but you will walk onto the beach from a narrow sandy path from the parking spots. the sandy path into the water is almost straight down the beach. if you know the sandy entrance is there you will find it. please keep in mind that there are some Very shallow spots in this reef and you need to be extra careful not to touch it with you hands or fins as it is very pristine so far!!! have a wonderful time. i am leaving the 18th for 2wks and will be staying just down the beach from there is a small villa. NOT one of the new gigantic ones you will see, haha.
have a great trip.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Virginia thank you for the info. I will try to find the narrow sandy path. We are always careful near the reef but thanks for the tip.

KVR, thank you for the good wishes. I'm trying to pack and it looks like I'm going away for a month.
Taking a break now and rethink what clothes to really bring. I have never been a light packer and I would love to depart with just my camera and pocketbook!

I will post my thoughts on Sibonne as soon as we get back. Well, the day after we get back (3/12). I have been checking the weather in Provo and it's looking good. (fingers crossed). Okay, back to the UNPACKING!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:02 AM

tt for Karen
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:37 AM

I'm sorry I missed this, am playing catch up at work today.

Smith Reef was wonderful. We drove to the road that takes you to Shark Bites Restaurant [Baci too] and took it to the public beach access. Follow the signs for the public access to the left...not the right.

Park in the public access, and you will see a sign telling you about the reef. My advice would be to wear polarized sunglasses on your way to the reef, so you can see it, and you WILL see it. Walk over the dune, away from the marina, and down the beach. You will see marking rocks, set almost in a path that leads from the beach to the water. You will see the sand walkway into the water, and you will come out in a sandy area [no coral there, so no worries]. BEFORE you do this however, take those sunglasses and look straight out from the sandy entry, then look slightly right, and you will see a large brown patch in the water [polorized sunglasses are a boon for finding reefs from out of the water!!! ] THAT is the reef you want to go look at. There is a smaller portion scattered closer that is fun to look at too [to the left], but you want to go to the monster reef towards the right. We saw huge nurse sharks, eagle rays, and an Angelfish that seemed to big to be real. We saw so much there it was amazing, and the reef is healthy and gorgeous. I am working on a photo blog of it, but for right now, here are some pictures of Provo, Chalk Sound, and Middle Caicos I have handy, from our trip. Hubby likes pictures so I am having to go through hundreds!

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...bluelagoon.jpg
Beach at middle Caicos

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...son/provo4.jpg
Chalk Sound

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...son/provo1.jpg
Pelican Beach [I think...down in Leeward]

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...son/provo3.jpg
Grace Bay

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...aicoscaves.jpg
Middle Caicos caves.

You are going to love your trip Stella.

I'll try and get more up before you leave tomorrow.

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:42 AM

Just wanted to add, that the large reef is a ways from shore. So, when you go out to the entry and look to the right, it will not be up near shore, but a ways out.

There is snorkeling closer, and it is also wonderful, but get thee to that reef that is further out if you can! I wish I was back doing it again today, as it snows and sleets here! ARggg

Sandy!!!!
Thank you for all the tips, the emails and the friendship! The trip was wonderful, all the way around. Comparisons to Grand Cayman...I'll put those in my trip report. I will say the reefs are in a lot better shape [health and color wise, as well as NO DEBRIS!!!] Very fun trip. Thank you and a hug for suggesting it.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Ikemerson for the directions to Smith Reef!

Your pictures are incredible. Thank you for posting them. You have really gotten me more excited if that is possible.

It's snowing here in White Plains, NY also. I called our car service and asked to be picked up even earlier. 5:15 AM tomorrow morning. I hope the roads aren't icy.

Many Thanks again!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:35 PM

The best info on Smith's Reef is here:
http://www.provoturtledivers.com/Site/SmithsReef.html
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:19 AM

that is great info. I wish we had had it before we left. Thank you so much for posting it!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:32 PM

BlueFan: thanks so much for that website. Great information that will come in handy on our first trip there in June!!