Coriander Cottage Beach

Search

Coriander Cottage Beach

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coriander Cottage Beach

Hoping someone (Virginia/TurksOldTimer) can shed some light on the beach at Coriander Cottage. I know that the beach is rocky at this point, but is the entire area rocky or are there entrance points into the water? Is the entire area in the water rocky or just the reef area(s). How far (minutes) is it down the beach where there is just sand? Thank you for you help!
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 01:32 PM

hi jenny - oh i am so jealous. you are going to have a wonderful vacation at coriander. assume you have looked at the northshorevillas website and have seen the pic at the top of the coriander page with your house circled in red. to it's right is sandstone, then paprika with a red roof, then tamarind and another house with mulitple red roofs. right after you pass that 4th house the ironshore starts to quit. or if you go the same distance to your left when you come out of your path more sandy entry. from your observation platform you will be able to see where there are sandy "paths" into the sea through the ironshore, closer to coriander. it is ususally quite calm so you should have no trouble getting in. and yes there are plenty of sandy spots just out from the rocky shoreline.
just to the left of your path is the entrance to snorkel smiths reef. it is marked with a large rock carin (stack of rocks) - a narrow path in. maybe 20-30 yds out on the left coral starts. also if you swim out about twice (maybe more) as far on your right is another large area of coral. depending on the angle of the sun you will be able to see these darker looking areas from the beach. or watch other snorkelers. at the close in reef, mind the shallow parts - some spots are too shallow to even float over without touching something at low tide especially. but if you go in the early am the clarity is good and the fish are very active. i have seen "groups" of 2-3 spotted eagle rays here several times. they are sooo beautiful and graceful.
the beach itself is not rocky. the sand is unbelievably soft actually.
further to your right past those 4 villas, maybe 5 more house?, is the house i've stayed in - then windows a la mar now north atlantic villa with a white fence and seagrapes. next is bella sur mer then the beach flattens out for a loooong way.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Great! Thanks for the details. I have seen the arial pictures, but unless you have been there it is hard to know just what you're looking at and the distance.
We are so excited - I do more "exploring" online each day - My husband is already tired of hearing about it and we don't leave until late Oct.
I just wanted to know what to expect so that I wasn't diappointed with the beach when we get there.
We are planning on renting a car for two days during our stay to check out Malcolms Beach, Chaulk Sound, etc. Who do you reccommend we rent from? I was told Scooter Bob's is close by, but then I read that Avis will drop the car off and pick it up for no charge. Decisions, Decisions.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 06:20 PM

if you are going to malcolm road beach you will need a jeep of some sort. scooter will bring your vehicle over too - they did it for me last trip. or you can walk over there. he is quite a salty character. the restaurants in turtle cove are all good. tiki hut has cheap food in fun atmosphere and does special nights. aqua bar is my favorite on island. sharkbite has a great burger. i saw a post from someone who enjoyed baci risorante just recently. and if there are any big yachts on the outer pier they are fun to look at. also a small liquor store but not the cheapest.
it'll take you 10 mins to walk down past those 4 villas. 15-20 to walk over to turtle cove marina.
if you like looking at houses take the chalk sound road. go either way when you come to the rock wall/fork in road to see nice ones.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Great - Thank you so much for all your info. I had read on another site that you were the one to ask - and they were right.

Thanks again - I will post a review when we get back!
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 02:21 PM

I was SO happy to see this thread. We leave in THREE WEEKS and are staying at Corriander. I'll be sure to post some pictures.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Three Weeks?? I am so envious - we don't leave until October. Please be sure to update me on the beach situation - walking distance to other areas (if you attempt) and how secluded you actually are when you are out on the patio/gazebo. Have a great time and I look forward to your post!
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 07:06 PM

i have walked down a tiny path beside coriander's driveway and on to your beach path. i doubt that we were supposed to do so, but wanted quick accees to smith's for 78 yr old traveling with us. other than brazen intruders like us your patio/pool area is quite secluded. we were staying down the beach and knew the path was there, so drove down and walked in.
you might look at the page for villa sandstone, your neighbor, on moog's site. the 2nd and 3rd pics down seem to show sandy beach entrance in front of that villa. the 4th is before coriander, paprika and tamirand were built.
can't wait to see your pics chasechow and to hear how the snorkeling is. be cautious at smiths. when the tide is down there are some very shallow spots and you wouldn't want to touch. tide is barely noticeable on the beach but seems to make a difference on the reef.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Okay, maybe I missed something - what is 'moog's' site? Would love to look at more pictures if I have missed some.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 05:05 AM

oh sorry jenny. henry moog owns 15 rental villas on provo. his web site is www.northshorevillas.com, which i assumed you were already looking at.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Yes, that's the site I have been looking at - Darn - I thought maybe there were some more pictures out there.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 11:25 AM

If you look up www.webshots.com and put a search in for (smiths reef turks and caicos) two pictures pop up of the beach in that area.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

THanks Turksoldtimer - that is just what I was looking for. The pictures showed the beach well. Can't wait for my trip! Thanks again.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 04:21 PM

We are back from our week at Coriander Cottage and the website just doesn't do it justice.

The beach directly in front of the cottage is very rocky, both the beach itself and when you first enter the water. It's definitely best to go into the water at low tide. There are a couple of areas that you can navigate into the water, but if you want a beach area with just sand, you need either just walk to the left or to the right just several feet before you are on sand. The nicest area of calm beautiful beach though is Grace Bay. I've never seen water that calm and that blue. I'll post more in a trip report thread, but was wondering if anyone could tell me how to post photos that you can access?
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 04:29 PM

BTW, you are pretty secluded at the pool and in the Gazebo. There is a little foot path that people could walk down to get to the beach if they chose to (all beach areas are public), but I can honestly say that I only saw two other people on the beach the whole week we were there. They can not see you in the pool from the beach at all and could only see you in the Gazebo if they chose to walk up on this little hill to look at the house. You do have 4 of the Moog's other properties on your right, and I'm not sure how visible you are to them. You are pretty visible (at least when in the Gazebo) to the closest house).

We did get out and walk to the restaurants that were in the Turtle Cove Marina area (Sharkbites, Tiki Hut, Bacci's, Aqua's) and it wasn't too bad, maybe a litle over a quarter of a mile.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

I can't wait to hear more and/or see pics. Did you love it? The cottage, beach, reef, Provo?? I'm not sure about posting photos, but the folks on the TripAdvisor site always just post a link. Most download the photos to a shutterfly type site and share the album and then post the link. I am dying to hear more!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 02:30 PM

We've booked Coriander for this December and I can't wait to hear about your trip and the cottage and see the pics. Hurry with your post!!
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 04:42 PM

Hopefully this link will work. I've posted lots of photos. I will post back with a trip report, but due to weather and illness, I don't have much of one. I will say Coriander is THE place to stay.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePh...vfolderid=2007
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 04:44 PM

It should work, but you have to click, copy and post the entire link rather than just the part highlighted in blue
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Oh no - it's not working. I pasted the whole link (not just the blue) - says Album not found.

I'll try again in the morning. I can't wait to see the pics.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -