Reload this Page >

If you could pick one place to avoid...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 06:10 PM
mally

Okay, I know I'm going to be dubbed as negative and I know everyone is going to have differing opinions on this, but that's why I'm asking....If you could avoid one particular island/resort whatever, which would it be? I've won a free trip to anywhere in the Caribbean for $4500 or less. Please help me decide where I should not choose. I want a nice beach with good restaurants and safety is also very important. I'm not necessarily in need of an active nightlife, but that would also be okay. Just want somewhere to relax and enjoy.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 06:15 PM
y

St. Maarten, Dutch side

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Mika

I'd avoid Curacao like the plague.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Lyn

Avoid Jamaica, St. Thomas.<BR><BR>Go to Anguilla, St. John or St. Bart's.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 07:45 PM
malli

Avoid ARUBA

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 08:30 PM
Eve

<BR><BR>Avoid Aruba? PLEASE. Get a clue! Aruba is far and away one of the most popular destinations in the Caribbean. (Well, if you like solitude & no people, then I guess avoiding Aruba does make sense. If solitude's your cup of tea, then I'd suggest Cayman Brac.)<BR><BR>AVOID: 1. Any and all resorts on Grand Bahama Island. What a pit!<BR>2. St. Martin/Maarten. Trashy and expensive. And my rental car was broken in to twice and I had to fight the rental company about damage! No way!<BR>

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 08:54 PM
notclueless

Aruba 2. not very Caribbean feeling and lots of highrises on the beach more like Miami. very affordable espcially with all those timeshares and corporate hotels with specials might make it popular. windy and no real special places to stay for special trips. when air was subsidized by government it had easy direct cheap and included flights.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Parrot Mom

By far the nicest place we have been to is Bermuda..not inexpensive, but lovely ewith gorgeous beaches and the people are wonderful..

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 04:46 AM
leta

Avoid: ARUBA<BR><BR>Another Miami Beach. Not ugly, just without a soul. Very plastic and filled with Germans who race out at 5AM to put their towels on all the good beach chairs! <BR><BR>Go to: St. Barth's

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 05:11 AM
Anon

Dominican Republic & Jamaica.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Nancy

ARUBA - Very overrated. Way too windy, way too hot in the interior, had to fight for shade on the beach, the sand in the ocean was like mud and no luxury resort to speak of. The only good thing was the food and you can get good food mostly anywhere. <BR><BR>

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Bill

Avoid Jamaica.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 05:20 AM
Goober

I avoid anyplace that Ramjet is

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Brad

Avoid the Atlantis resort on Paradise island at all costs. It is trash and you will be so disappointed at this overrated Vegas class hotel.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 06:12 AM
c robertson

Avoid Dominican Republic!!<BR><BR>Turks and Caicos, Provo is heaven on earth.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Katie

Sandals on Jamaica. The food was terrible, the beaches chained in by fences and smaller than 1/2 a football field. Alot of the guests love to play drinking games. Its not safe to leave the resort. The workers are down right disrepectful.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Alice

Avoid Aruba too. It has great restaurants but you could also find that in other islands. It has great beaches but you could also find that in other islands. I've been there once but I don't see any other reason why I should go back. Maybe if you're totally paranoid about being hit with a hurricane in your vacation, then go there but I'll spend my hard-earned money somewhere else.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Gracie

Avoid Aruba? <BR>Give me a break!<BR>Avoid D.R?<BR>Puerto Plata, yes..but never Punta Cana..I loved it !!<BR>I say you should avoid Curacao. Nothing there..

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Mona

We are world travelers and we always return to our favorite island, Aruba. Would never travel again to Nassau.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Aunt B

To; Parrotmom; without a doubt honey! Bermuda is hands down the best island in the caribbean (although it really isnt in the caribbean itself) Ive been to em all and there is no equal! You'll immediatly notice the cleanliness, beauty, charm, friendly people (love the accent for it is a british island), lack of poverty (you ever been to jamaica or st. lucia?), the small intimate parishes, and lushness! It is neat how they collect water! Go there, you will be impressed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -