Idle Awhile - How would you rate it???

Jun 27th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Idle Awhile - How would you rate it???

Looking for a romantic resort, not too pricey in Negril Area. Checked out Idle Awhile's web site and it seems nice, but can't really find any official reviews/ratings on any of the travel sites. How would you rate the resorts' beach area, can you snorkle form the shore? What type of room would you stay in; are the rooms romantic, comfortable, clean? Do you feel secluded, or right on top of the neighboring resorts?
Jun 27th, 2003, 10:35 AM

There are a couple of reviews on Idle Awhile at www.tripadvisor.com Also, at least one couple who posts on both www.negril.com and www.jamaicans.com (go to Bulletin Boards and then the Westside Wanderings and then search "idle awhile") Try posting specifically to Lizardbeth - very knowledgeable about Idle Awhile. I stayed near there and can vouch for the beach - very nice there. I have heard only great things about the resort.
Jun 28th, 2003, 08:23 AM

Yup, there are several trip reports for Idle Awhile in the jamaicans.com forum archives.

I found quite a few there, here is one:

http://www.jamaicans.com/ubb/ultimat...;f=24;t=000582
Jun 28th, 2003, 05:40 PM
pearl456

Stayed next door to Idle Awhile at the Charela Inn. Saw the rooms at Idle. They were really nice. They have a chic look to them and are really clean. But only few of the rooms have beach views. Nice floaties at the beach. Not good snorkeling right there. The tiny bar has a great lunch. Try the Ital (traditional jamacian lunch served out of a coconut) I had it twice. The property is kind of small and you are on top of the other hotels, but alot of the small hotels in Negril are like that. The Charela Inn next door has a wider stretch of beach and we really enjoyed our stay there. We had a really nice beach view. You can't go wrong with either one. Have fun and get some Ital from the rasta guy.

Jul 2nd, 2003, 12:02 PM

haven't stayed at Idle Awhile, but have been to Point Village twice - large grounds, clean, friendly staff. They have good food, 3 beaches (one adult only which is my least favorite), nice "family" sandy beach, decent snorkelling off a rocky point and rock pools on the property - you cannot access this unless you stay at this resort - it's along the end of the 7 mile beach, so miles of walking, can go past all the other resorts, but anyone not staying at Point Village can walk through that property, because you there is no accessible public beach beyond it. They also have onsite activities, a small dive shop.Depending on which part of the resort you end up in it can be very peaceful and quiet, but can also be a bit more noisy if you are close to Hedonism which is the neighboring resort.
Jul 4th, 2003, 03:08 PM

We just returned from our honeymoon in Jamaica. We spent part of it on the beach in Negril. We stayed at Coco LaPalm -- which is just a couple of doors down from Idle Awhile. We didn't actually go into the resort -- but it certainly looked nice from the beach. That whole beach is beautiful, but I'm not sure you'd see much snorkeling right there.

Check Coco LaPalm. It was reccommended to us from friends who have been returning to that specific resort for years and years. They loved it there -- and so did we! The rooms were nice, large and comfortable. The staff is great. The beach is large and kept nice. The grounds are well manicured. There is a pool and a hot tub and lots of beautiufl "garden/tree" areas. There is a restaurant and bar/grill -- although we didn't eat at either (we preferred to explore the beach and eat at other places.)

Good luck!
Cindy
Jul 6th, 2003, 02:46 PM

for those that have been to idle--did you miss not having a pool on premises? were you able to use the swept away pool or was it just too far to be worthwhile? am thinking of idle with two small kids but the pool has me hung up--also, anyone stay in the junior suite? thanks,
Jul 7th, 2003, 04:14 PM

Jamaica is one of the few islands I have been to where I have never missed a pool. Everywhere else, there seemed to be at least on day when the wind was up or the water was rough or there were jellies or something else drove me to the pool - but not in Negril - water has been perfect each time. However, that does not mean your little ones won't miss the pool. I stayed at Coco Lapalm in april and there were kids of all ages in the ocean all day long and I hardly saw any in the pool. The water is so calm that kid's can use all there pool toys in the ocean. Coco's junior suite is an alternative to Idle Awhile - may be more kid friendly and you can see if the kids use the pool. If not, go to Idle Awhile next time.