Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

I know you may find this a ridiculous question, but what kind of insects should I be prepared for in Negril?

Search

I know you may find this a ridiculous question, but what kind of insects should I be prepared for in Negril?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:45 AM
Scott

It's on my mind because I just returned from a trip to Sanibel Island off the coast of Florida and we had a couple pests to content with, we are leaving for the Grand Lido Negril in four weeks and I just want to be prepared.<BR>Before I left for Sanibel Island I had done a bit of research so I was prepared for what they call &quot;no-see-ums&quot; (sand fleas that come out at dusk and early dawn) but we had a huge issue with these tiny sugar ants. We stayed at a great place (Sundial Beach Resort) and other than dealing with the ants had no other complaints.<BR>So what should I expect in Negril? Thanks, Scott

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 04:13 AM
xxx

We were in Negril for Christmas week last year. There were small red ants in the sand on the beach. They didn't seem to be a problem other than being attracted to drinks. That being said, by the end of the week, my legs were bit up from mid-shin to ankle. No-seeums, I suppose. I was never aware of being bitten. My husband never had a bite. Go figure.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:21 PM
ttt

TTT

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 01:11 PM
tivertonhouse

Bring Deep Woods Off as a precaution against no=see=ums at dusk and mosquitoes after a rainy stretch. It's the tropics so you'll find the usual sugar ants, black/red ants (some bite,some don't), duckants/termites,cockroaches,moths,beetles,40 legs (millipedes) and the like. 40 legs and brown recluse spiders are the only ones to watch for;they leave welts. You'll probably not encounter many if any of the above;so don't be scared off,just aware.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 04:15 PM
Eric

Sand fleas are what bite up your legs in the Caribbean. If you hang out on the beach after sunset, they will bite your legs. You can hardly see them, but the bites swell up and itch. Kind of looks like numerous small mosquito bites, or poison ivy... Either wear long pants and sneakers on the beach at night, or use deet.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 04:22 AM
xxx

After reading these other posts, it sure sounds like what I had were sand flea bites. However, I was not on the beach after dark. I must have just been &quot;lucky&quot; or otherwise allergic.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Scott

Thanks to you all for your replies, especially you tivertonhouse, you always give such informative and helpful replies. I will definitely bring the deep woods off, these no-see-um bites have actually itched more in the last two days then when I was there or when we returned which was last Saturday. My fiance' woke up a couple times last night from the itching. I guess it will just take a few more days to heal. Eeeggaads!

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 09:21 AM
chesney

I have been to Negril twice this year, and yes the sand fleas and no see-ums are what will get you. They seem to come out right before sunset. I have always taken mosquito spray, but had the best luck with the OFF Botanical mosquito lotion. I travelled with 19 other women this summer, who all brought different kinds of spray, mine really seemed to work the best. Have a great time in Negril, Grand Lido is a top notch resort. My friend may end up giving you a boat ride (he works for Grand Lido sometimes with his own private boat). Try to get out and about though. I have never had any trouble with the locals. Go to Alfreds or DeBuss for some great nightlife, good reggae music! I envy you! You are going to have so much fun!