Hurricanes in July/August

Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Hurricanes in July/August

Obviously no one can predict, but is it crazy to plan a trip to Bermuda at the end of July because of a chance of a hurricane?
Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:59 AM

The odds are in your favor - since 1854 Bermuda has had only one huricane in July (1974). You can checkout historical wather data for Bermuda at the following websites and make your own decision:

http://stormcarib.com/

www.weatherbase.com
Jun 27th, 2006, 08:40 AM

Not crazy at all - usually cheaper to go to during hurricane season. It's simply a crap shoot - you could end up with all perfect sunny days!!

I would, however, make sure to get some type of travel insurance that would cover you in the event of a hurricane. Note, it usually does not cover you for anything less than a Category 1 (a tropical storm with 50mph for example Check what the hotel and airline policies are - they may have a policy that would save you from purchasing travel insurance.
Jun 27th, 2006, 06:11 PM

Summer is Bermuda's high season. The time to visit Bermuda is from May through Oct for best weather. If you are worried, buy some trip insurance.
Have a great trip! Bermuda is one of my favorite places.
Jul 24th, 2006, 03:05 PM

We went on the heels of Fabian, and it was still a great trip - don't know if that helps or not, but we were impressed with the service and friendliness even in the face of a all the damage fabian did. We still loved our stay.
Jul 24th, 2006, 04:41 PM

my husband and i have been to bermuda over a dozen times, honeymooning there 26 (gasp !) years ago. our trips were always taken during june, july and august and we have only witnessed one violent storm which passed in a day or two....

bermuda is truly magical and if you have the opportunity to go you will not be disappointed

alison
Jul 25th, 2006, 12:50 PM

We just got back from Bermuda yesterday and the weather was pretty good. Warm every day (in the mid 80's) Tropical Storm Beryl was causing a bit of heavy rain at times but it came and went enough not to spoil it for us. I'd take the gamble and would definitely go back at the same time. I also asked the cab driver about hurricanes, she said that they'd only been badly hit a couple of times and that usually onces the hurricanes passed through the carribean, they lost steam by the time they got to Bermuda...hope that helps.
Jul 26th, 2006, 05:11 AM

I've been to Bermuda many times in August -- 'never had a violent storm (knock wood.)